I have yet to see any ammonia readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjwolf444

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been cycling for two weeks now. I have a 55 gallon tank with 40 lbs of live rock. About 4 days ago I took some advice and added two shrimp. I have yet to see any ammonia readings. My tank went through a 24 hour period about 2 days ago where the water was foggy and smelled. It has since cleared up and I now have thousand of Copepods. Could have it cycled or should I keep waiting? Are the Copepods a good sign? I didn't check for ammonia until after I added the shrimp.

Oh and nitrites 0, nitrates 10. Water temp 79, salinity 1.024

Was the live rock cured? Also try posting your testing stats you will usually get more replys that way so we all know what we are dealing with as far as your cycle is concerned

If the LR was cured, your tank is probably cycled already. The cloudy water was a bacterial bloom because of the dead shrimp. From your readings it looks like your well on your way.

A couple pieces weren't but that is only about 10% of the forty pounds. It's been the same for the 5 days the shrimp were added. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Temp 80, salinity 1.024, and ph in between 7.5 and 8, I'm estimating due to the color is between those two. It has held steady pretty much for 2 weeks.

A dead shrimp will show ammonia readings within 24 hours. If you have shrimp in there and your ammonia and nitrite are 0 then I would say toss the shrimp and you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom