I need advice about water circulation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

targaboy78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys,

While I wait for the contractors to strengthen my floor, I can start shopping for other components.

Display Tank Specs:
- Oceanic 175G Bowfront - Reef Ready.
- Two 2" corner overflows (one on either side of display tank)
- Two 1" returns (one on either side of display tank) with Loc-Line
http://www.oceanaquatics.com/plumbing supplies.htm
- Sump approximately 30 - 50 gallons (haven't purchased one yet)
- Red Sea WaveMaster Pro

My Outlook:
- Cost is always an issue but I am realistically prepared for the big $$$ - maybe not all at once BUT over time.
- I value Quality over Price (since this is a long term investment)
- Ideally, this tank will start as a FO / FOWLR, then I'll progressively keep adding LR/LS and eventually end up with a REEF (within one year - give or take) .

Make your recommendations as if money was no object - and you were buying it for yourself but feel free to mention some "good bang for the buck" lower cost alternatives.

1> What would you recommend for powerheads?

- 3 or 4? x Hagen 402 Powerhead (270 GPH)
- 3 or 4? x Hagen 802 Powerhead (400 GPH)
- 3 or 4? x Maxi-Jet 1200 (295 GPH)
- Other? (please specify)

2> What would you recommend for a Return Pump?

- Iwaki MD30RLXT (1100 GPH - 4'Head Flow Rate: 960GPH)
- Iwaki MD40RLXT (1200 GPH - 4'Head Flow Rate: 1100GPH)
- Little Giant 3MDQX-SC (1100 GPH - 5' Head: 600GPH)
- Little Giant 4MDQX-SC (1350 GPH - 5' Head: 900GPH)
- Mag 1200 (1200 GPH - 4' Head: 1100 GPH)
- Mag 1800 (1800 GPH - 4' Head: 1390 GPH)
- Quiet One 4000 (1017 GPH - 6' Head: 600GPH)
- Quiet One 6000 (1506 GPH - 6' Head: 950GPH)
- Other? (please specify)

2> Would it be advantageous to put "Y Fittings" on the Loc-Line to divert the returns for a more varied water current?

This one isn't about circulation - but here it is anyway...
4> What would be a good skimmer for this type/size of system?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

1> What would you recommend for powerheads?

On a tank like that I would go with a closed loop and seaswirls or sqwds

2> What would you recommend for a Return Pump?

- Iwaki MD40RLXT (1200 GPH - 4'Head Flow Rate: 1100GPH)

I'd probably go with two, one for your sump and one for your closed loop ;)

2> Would it be advantageous to put "Y Fittings" on the Loc-Line to divert the returns for a more varied water current?

For diverting I would go with sqwds or seaswirls, if you can justify the cost Y fittings will decrease restriction over regular Ts

4> What would be a good skimmer for this type/size of system?

Larger AquaC skimmer or an appropriately sized EuroReef.

Tunze streams are awesome for water flow, and you will avoid closed loops, dont get me wrong closed loops are great but the tunze is less hastle. These are awesome and you can vary flow This is costly.
I would also stick with the Iwaki 40, indestruclible pumps, unless they get submersed (long story, but I didnt do it on purpose). If you had to go with the power heads listed I would Go the with Maxijets, the others arent as reliable. As far as the skimmer, Aqua C 180 (minimum) or Euroreef.

I would agree with reefrunner on almost every point. I'd look at the Blueline 40HD-X pump. My pump specs page will give you a pretty good comparison between them. It'll cost you a bit less than the MD Iwaki and it's a little quieter. Although I agree with doing a closed loop instead of powerheads, if I did use powerheads, I wouldn't even consider anything other than Maxi Jets. A SQWD would be lots better though. My choice for a skimmer would be the Aqua C EV-180 with a Blueline 20HD or the Aqua C EV-240 with a Blueline 30HD pump. JMHO.

Great posts here. Just thought I'd add in one of my standard concerns. I always bring this up because this is a hidden cost that we as aquarists always seem to overlook. We soon end up with aquariums so 'plugged in' that the electric companies start sending us gift baskets at Christmas. :)

IMO The fewer the pumps the better. Also better to go with external thermoisolated pumps like the Iwaki and BlueLine. Less heat - less likely to need a chiller at some point. Also should consider Power Rating of pumps as well as GPH. For example the Blueline HD40x is 130 watts and the Iwaki 40 rlxt is 190 watts. They both are close in GPH (1270, 1320 respectively) however, cost per year is different:

60 watt savings with the BlueLine so:

60 watts x 24hrs per day = 1440 watts/hr/day or 1.44 Kwh(kilowatthours per day).
assuming $.15 per Kwh (check local area for exact costs) then:
2.4 * .15 = $.22 per day * 365 days = $80 /year.

So the Blue line is $80/year cheaper to run.

You might also want to consider the AmpMaster by Dolphin. Very low power draw for the volume it moves. About 1500 GPH through 1 inch plumbing. But draws less then 100 watts. Yikes that's good. And very, very quiet.

Tom

Tunze is 3175 GPH and only uses 45w and you dont have to plumb it. Just for a closed loop but I do agree with mad nucleus about power, just havent had any experience with Blueline. I would recommend at least one return pump. Have they fixed the gasket problems with the Dolphin yet, till I heard about that, that was my pump of choice.

A closed loop is an alternative for using powerheads in your tank for waterflow. An external pump siphons water directly from the tank and is plumbed to return it to the tank, via a series of returns.

This link might help a little.

Thanks...man looks confusing... :? I guess I'll just stick with a few powerheads....

Hmmm.... Lots to ponder.

Thanks reefrunner69, mrrrkva, loganj and TheMadNucleus, for all the info you provided.

I am still a little hesitant about the closed loop idea. I'm a freshwater guy and this is my first SW tank and I'm not familiar with all the plumbing do's and don'ts. It all makes sense but the complexity is a little overwhelming at this point. I want it to look nice as well as be functional.

I am leaning towards a 1200GPH return pump with 4 Maxi-Jet 1200s and a Red Sea Wavemaster. It is a cheaper initial setup and I can always upgrade to a closed loop in the future when I am more comfortable with the plumbing aspect of the project.

Thanks again guys.

Back
Top Bottom