i want to upgrade my lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a FOWLR tank, which i plan to keep a FOWLR, no reef right now, but i want to upgrade my lights. i would like something that is going to let an anemone survive, but i'm not sure how much light one would need. i was thinking about getting a 2x96 set up. would that be enough for one to live?

also, i just measured my tank, and it's 35 1/4" long, not quite 36". is that going to be a problem when i do get new lights? i'm here in Japan, so i can't exactly go to the store and open up the box, i have to rely on all the help here that i can get. i always see the little light stands that go under the light, but how do those work? are they adjustable to come in closer, or go out further so that the light will stay held up?

and when i do get some better lights, do i need to take off the glass tops? right now i have tops that flip open in the front. the lights that i have right now sit on top of them, and then the back 1/3 or so is completley open. i know, a lot of questions, but you guys always help me out.

If you get better lights then you`ll need to think about maybe removing the tops because the light will turn to heat and the glass tops will trap in the heat. Kind of like a car as sunlight goes through a car window and turns into heat and stays in the car. It really also depends on your lights you plan to get. Glass tops also have been known to lower PH because of poor gas exchange.

i actually saw a light set up that i would like to get that said that it is supposed to have the glass tops on it. but still, what about the amount of light that i need to get for an anemone?

I would say about 5 watts per gallon. MH`s would be best but I still say that IMO that glass tops do cause problems in a tank. You will probably suffer from low PH and heat problems.

what is the difference between metal halide and this lighting set up that i have been looking at? besides the obvious price difference?

http://aquariumguys.com/aqualightsalt6.html

some of the metal halide lamps that i have found run for almost three times as much. i'm trying to upgrade, but to stay within a budget at the same time. i can afford a $200 to $250 upgrade a lot better than a $600 one.

I`m looking at your info and we are talking about a 40 gallon tank. I believe those lights will be OK. Definitely for a FOWLR and I think it will be ok for an anenomie. Those lights look OK. You might find cheaper on Ebay. Good luck

ok, thanks for the help. it is a 40 gallon tank, it's 3 ft long, so the lights that i looked at were the link that i posted above. i just want to make sure that it will be enough for an anemone to survive. thanks again for the help.

on a kinda related note, would it be ok to just get an acrylic or glass top sheet and set some regular flourescent lights like this on them?
162476_3.jpg

they look a lot like the flourecent lights you buy from fish stores, but a hell of a lot cheaper. here is the info

This fluorescent shop light with instant-on electronic ballast provides long lasting bright light while maintainnig its energy efficiency. In addition to its high-quality steel construction, it features 12 In. exta wide reflector and the added convenience of a pull chain switch. This shop light is perfect for use as a work light in your basements, work areas, laundry rooms, recreational areas or attics where a bright natural light is desired.

• Extra long 5 Ft. power cord
• Pull chain switch
• Extra wide 12 In. reflector
• Operates in cold weather down to 0° F
• Instant-on electronic ballast
• High-quality steel construction
• Uses 2-48 In. 32 Watt T8 fluorescent tubes (not included)
• Energy Star approved
• Hardware and chain included
• Fixture Dimensions: 48 In. L x 12 In.W x 4 In.H

Internet/Catalog #100095734
Store In-Stock SKU # 140857

they are only 13 bucks each.

i'm not sure if that would work or not, but i do appreciate the idea. the problem is being here in Japan, i only have so much to pick from where i'm at. i'm no where near a big town, all i have is my military base and the small town right off base. i have also been looking for some sand to put in my tank, but it's sooo expensive to ship here because of the weight. anyways, like i said, thanks for the idea, it's worth looking into.

gobias101 said:
they look a lot like the flourecent lights you buy from fish stores, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

They will not be enough light for an anenomie. Only 1 1/2 Watts per gallon. Not even close.

melosu58 said:
gobias101 said:
they look a lot like the flourecent lights you buy from fish stores, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

They will not be enough light for an anenomie. Only 1 1/2 Watts per gallon. Not even close.
would they be enough for a fish and live rock only tank? what if i added two? also anyone know how hot they would get?

Yes they would be enough for a FOWLR. I was answering Steve`s question about the anenomie, Sorry about that.

well, it was a good idea and i appreciate it. i think that here soon i'm going to order a 2x96 watt set up and then eventually get an anemone. thanks again everybody

Back
Top Bottom