Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silam1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need some help my tank has ich and don't have a qt set up what the quickest way to set one up an how big does it have to be I need to put a fame angel in its about 3 inch
A blue tang ( 2 inch)
And two clowns ( 1inch and 2 inch)
Would appreciate some advice some one by where I live is selling a 19l fluval chi would that be big enough?

The best way to set up a QT is to use some of the water from your display tank as it is already cycled and add copper to it (or slowly reduce the salinity if doing hypo). The recommended size is about 20g and long is better than tall. No substrate or rock, use pieces of PVC as structure for the fish to hide in. Also turn the heater up to around 82 degrees to help speed up the ich cycle. Leave your display tank fallow for a minimum of 6 weeks.

The best way to set up a QT is to use some of the water from your display tank as it is already cycled and add copper to it (or slowly reduce the salinity if doing hypo). The recommended size is about 20g and long is better than tall. No substrate or rock, use pieces of PVC as structure for the fish to hide in. Also turn the heater up to around 82 degrees to help speed up the ich cycle. Leave your display tank fallow for a minimum of 6 weeks.

Using the water from the main tank will not cycle a QT. The water itself isn't what cycles, as the BB that consumes the ammonia is in the sand and throughout the live rock primarily. Turning the heater up also will do nothing, as this method is only effective in fresh water. To the OP, there are many good articles on setting up a QT, and I recommend reading them. There is a lot of information as to how to do this effectively. And please just don't "add copper" or "reduce the salinity". Both of these methods are the 2 proven ways to cure ich, but are not as easy as this reads. There is still testing involved, and constant monitoring of salinity, PH, and ammonia. Hypo is very involved as well, as the salinity needs to remain between 1.009-1.010 for 2-3 weeks, and a refractometer will be required. Once again, please read some of the articles here on AA.. Good luck!

Using the water from the main tank will not cycle a QT. The water itself isn't what cycles, as the BB that consumes the ammonia is in the sand and throughout the live rock primarily. Turning the heater up also will do nothing, as this method is only effective in fresh water. To the OP, there are many good articles on setting up a QT, and I recommend reading them. There is a lot of information as to how to do this effectively. And please just don't "add copper" or "reduce the salinity". Both of these methods are the 2 proven ways to cure ich, but are not as easy as this reads. There is still testing involved, and constant monitoring of salinity, PH, and ammonia. Hypo is very involved as well, as the salinity needs to remain between 1.009-1.010 for 2-3 weeks, and a refractometer will be required. Once again, please read some of the articles here on AA.. Good luck!

The reason I suggested to use water from the display tank was because the OP's question was "what is the quickest way to set it up" and the rest was basically just basic info assuming the OP has done or will be doing more research, there are obvious gaps in my post and that is intentional.

Back
Top Bottom