Ich alternatives and myths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have read lots of posts and blogs on ich. I know the two sure fire treatments. They both are pretty extreme if you ask me. But to save a full tank of fish its worth it.
Just for debate. Does anyone have anything to try any alternatives to try if you catch it early that MAY work before you go hypo or copper.

One I have been told by some one that has done salt water for years. He claims this almost always works for him. He raises his salt 1 point a day for 5 days. Leaves it for 2 weeks and then back down 1 point a day. Also he raises temp to 80. He says its safe on fish. Have to be very careful on hard coals.
I have never read or heard of raising temp or salt. I know this guy fish is his life. Has been for years. Anyone else hear of this or try it. What else has people done or tried before going to hypo or copper.

I haven't heard. I would just go hypo BUT soaking the food in garlic got rid of ich on my wrasse once.

+1 If you know it's ich the best way to go is to treat it with a KNOWN and PROVEN method. While you may get lucky with an alternative the 2 known ways are the only ways to definitively get rid of it.
+2(y)......

Back
Top Bottom