Insufficient lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowedToad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard mixed stories of lighting in a tank. I have a 20w 50/50 bulb and a 20w actinic on my 29 gal, is this sufficient for coralline algae growth, and or other growth in my tank? I am thinking about buying a 65w satellite 1003.
SATELLITE™

I would be more interested in what your calcium and alk and magneisium levels are for coralline. You might have enough light for coralline but not for corals.

I agree with Mike. Coraline will grow in areas of shade in the aquarium and not grow directly under light. It all depends on your water chemistry.

If you can post those three test results or if you dont have water test then go to your LFS and get him to measure Calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

is alkalinity PH? My LFS told me to use baking soda to bump up the PH, which contains calcium.

LFS isn't always right! How long do you bake the baking soda? I am trying to stay all natural with no chemicals. Will go to LFS on Monday to get accurate tests. All my home tests are good. Thanks again

What is your pH? Perfect pH is not always as good as stable pH.

PH is stable at 8.0. It goes up nor down with anything I do.

PH of 8.0 is ok. As long as it isn't going up and down a lot. As Scott said stable PH is more important. My tank usually runs at 8.1 PH.

Back
Top Bottom