Interested in an anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a small 20 gallon tank that I got for free. I want to do something with an anemone. Are all fish/crabs/snails ok to put in the same tank or will they be killed when stung? I will set up this small tank with one if there are restrictions otherwise I will just put one in my bigger tank that is being set up.

Welcome to AA. First off, please don't put a nem into a tank that isn't at least a year old. Newer tanks have flucuations that kill nems. They require very stable parameters. They also need very good light and not many people put MH's over 20Gs. ;) Also they do sting corals when they move around trying to find their fav spot in the tank.

Please do not get anemone. Most of the anemones sold for our tanks will outgrow the tank a/o die within a short period.

Have you done a SW tank before? I would like to know, is this your first tank?

I have had a small 10 gallon for about 4 months now.

This is more of a question of when is it ok to go in a tank and will it bother all fish/crabs/snails or just certain ones.

an anemone is rather sensitive to water parameters. That is one reason for when you read about putting them in a mature tank. As far as danger to fish, it depends on the type of anemone. Just because you have an anemone it does not mean that a clown will host in it. Also most will end up to large for a 20l. By the time an anemone reaches a LFS most of the time they are to stressed to make a come back. I won't own an anemone for most of the reasons everyone has already posted. Here are a couple of pictures on my clowns hosting a plastic anemone and one hosting a featherduster.
img_1087013_0_f3c5989fa78597bca18f7d63b623d224.jpg

img_1087013_1_930295b2534782536283c843e46d3b9c.jpg

Thanks, the question keeps popping up. If you have a clown you don't need an anemone for it to host. Most people don't have strong enough lights for an anemone.

That's very true. I agree most whole heartedly with cmor. They should be left in the ocean. Although when I was just beginning I was sold a nem and it's been through a lot. It has survived the heatwave that lost me most of my corals and was in my tank after the tank was just set up (cycle finished). Money without wisdom is truely dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom