Is 50 Lbs of LR enough to start with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone
I'm just about ready to fill my 120 and wanted to cure some live rock in the tank while it's cycling. I know 50 lbs is not enough but is OK to start with? I would like add more later on, to buy all i need now is a pretty big nut. My plans are to coordinate filling the tank around ordering the LV.
I had a thought, can I start cycling the tank now then add the LV a week later? Thanks guys, I'm a little nervous about this endeavor and am going to need plenty of help. This is my 1st SW tank. Where can i get LR at a good price?

From what I have read, any LR that you add latter needs to be fully cured. But I am sure you probaly know this.

From what I have read, any LR that you add latter needs to be fully cured. But I am sure you probaly know this.
Yes, i know it has to be cured outside the tank. I think I should be able to cure the initial 50 during the cycle.

Yes you can but remember that any LR added at a later date might trigger a mini cycle. You do not need to add all LR and the 50# is more then enough to seed the rest of the rock. If you use base rock you will avoid any mini cycles. Just be sure to rinse the base rock well. I would add some base rock first then add the sand so that you won't get any landslides later. Base rock is allot cheaper also. You will need ~180# of rock total. So you have 50# of lr all you need is 130#'s of base rock. Look up the DIY rock thread on this site and make your own!!!!!

Yes you can but remember that any LR added at a later date might trigger a mini cycle. You do not need to add all LR and the 50# is more then enough to seed the rest of the rock. If you use base rock you will avoid any mini cycles. Just be sure to rinse the base rock well. I would add some base rock first then add the sand so that you won't get any landslides later. Base rock is allot cheaper also. You will need ~180# of rock total. So you have 50# of lr all you need is 130#'s of base rock. Look up the DIY rock thread on this site and make your own!!!!!
Cool, so if I cycle the tank with 50 LBS then I can add base rock later to the tank (which will become live?) without any worries of a Mini cycle? Does that mean I can add fish after the tank cycles then add the base without any adverse affects?

I agree with the rest, be careful, not all base rock comes without dead critters in it. I have Marcorocks and there is a ton of dead and dried up critters can possibly cause a mini cycle. Other than the little bit of caution, if you don't add too much bioload, the 50lbs should be able to take care of the biofiltration, and then you can add more rock as you go along...

Last edited:

I would get some base rock to start with also. You want to have plenty of solid rocks for your foundation. I am sure you don't want to be changing everything around when you add something later.

I agree with the rest, be careful, not all base rock comes without dead critters in it. I have Marcorocks and there is a ton of dead and dried up critters can possibly cause a mini cycle. Other than the little bit of caution, if you don't add too much bioload, the 50lbs should be able to take care of the biofiltration, and then you can add more rock as you go along...
Thanks, I'm glad i found AA there is no way I would of known all of this stuff. Like everything else it's all in the details. Good looking out.

I would get some base rock to start with also. You want to have plenty of solid rocks for your foundation. I am sure you don't want to be changing everything around when you add something later.
Good idea, I should be able to order the base rock wherever i order the LR? What type of base rock is preferable?

If you can pick and chose, I would get the most porous in the shapes that you like. If you can get Fiji rock, get it now before they stop imports of it.

If you can pick and chose, I would get the most porous in the shapes that you like. If you can get Fiji rock, get it now before they stop imports of it.
Fiji is hard to come by in my area, I'll have to get it online. Any suggestions on a good web site?

Just curious... why is 50#'s not enough? I have a 125g FO and don't have any LR in the tank... just a big wet / dry and a fuge..... I have a big bio load and all works out great with me.

Caige, what do you consider a large bioload? If you have enough sand/bioballs/filter media/sponges/decoration (basically anywhere the bacteria can live) the tank could support a larger bioload.....

sorry.. i just meant that my set up (actually friends set up, i'm currently on mine) has a lion fish, trigger, tangs, grouper and eel and he has no LR in the tank... he has a 40gallon wet dry that has about 5gal of bio balls... then another compartment that has about 5gal of LR rubble.... then goes to a fuge..... but in the tank he just has all the fake stuff --- which seems to be a big pain because every 2 weeks he takes them out and bleaches them.

I just bought a 125gal myself and only planned on having about 20#'s of LR in the actual tank... .and I was almost mimicking his setup under it ..... hope it works!

sorry.. i just meant that my set up (actually friends set up, i'm currently on mine) has a lion fish, trigger, tangs, grouper and eel and he has no LR in the tank... he has a 40gallon wet dry that has about 5gal of bio balls... then another compartment that has about 5gal of LR rubble.... then goes to a fuge..... but in the tank he just has all the fake stuff --- which seems to be a big pain because every 2 weeks he takes them out and bleaches them.

I just bought a 125gal myself and only planned on having about 20#'s of LR in the actual tank... .and I was almost mimicking his setup under it ..... hope it works!

The Bio Balls are taking the place of the LR for the Bio filtration. With the FOWLR setup you use LR and you don't have any bio balls. I don't know the percentage of LR you have to have for FOWLR put it is recommended that you have 1-1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. Base rock will become live after a while.

I also want to add, LR is a good way to simulate their natural habitat, it helps to define territory and provides safety and a comfy spot to sleep and hide.

You guys stink --- Now i'm really leaning towards getting LR!! LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom