Is an Angel fish OK in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
My SW tank is cycled and ready for some fish once again! (45 gallon hexagon tank)

Now, I've had some difficulty keeping angel fish alive in the past, but would like to give it another try with a dwarf or two. In the past, I'm guessing my angels died because they couldn't get acclimated to the tank (perhaps because it is a hexagon)? I have a Fluval filter and a UG pulled by a powerhead.

So, would an angel do ok in a tank with a snowflake eel, leaflip (clown) grouper, niger trigger and porcupine puffer? All the fish are relatively small to moderate in size (2-4 inches, eel is very young) and get along well with each other.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but an UG filter system will be a breeding ground for nitrates.
As far as the puffer and trigger go, these fish will grow rather large. In fact, the Niger trigger will get up to a foot long and would require a 70 to a 100G eventually. These fish will be very stressed in a short period of time. So in a 48G tank, these fish may not do too well. I would stay with a dwarf angel, and as few other smaller fish to be on the safe side. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Yeah, I think you might have too much in the tank already, so I wouldnt add anything else myself (my opinion, I'm new so don't take it as gospel) :)

Agree with above, all of these fish will outfgrow that tank. IMO I would not add any more and possible look into a larger tank for the future.
Good luck!! :wink:

get rid of the fish that will get to big for your tank and get the dwarf angles. They will do much better.

Also get rid of your UG filter... they are very old technology and pretty useless in SW tanks. If you dont have any, get some live rock. That will benefit your tank more than anything.

there should be an info page here that gives descriptions of fish including there adult size, feeding habits, and potential tankmates. all who agree raise there hands!

I know that information would certainly help me out!

I am really surprised that your puffer, trigger, and grouper are getting along in such a small environment. I have a 90G FOWLR, and I would like to get a dog face puffer, but given the size it will grow to, I would need to get a 125G. Rocketseason is correct. This site is stuffed full of information that is great to have when you're in the market for SW items. I would check here to get opinions before buying anything else. Good luck to you.

Mike

Your fish are all getting along because they are juveniles, this is going to rapidly change.

You are currently WAY overstocked, I cannot stress it enough. The grouper and porcupine puffer will each reach a foot long, with the puffer being the size of a football. The puffer alone WILL require a 100g tank or greater.

Within a year you are going to have major problem. Please don't try to beat the odds and subject these fish to confined conditions. They will grow and require territory, in which they will either kill each other or die from the stressful environmental conditions. It is not possible to keep the water quality with your potential bioload, this is the unfortunate reality of your situation.

Return all the fish and start over with livestock that is appropriate for your tank. There are TONS of cool choices.

Agreed, and angels should not be mixed. Ecspecially in such a small tank.

So for those of us with small tanks, what WOULD you recommend? I was looking at some butterflies the other day. very pretty fish, just as pretty as Angels In my opinion. are they good for smaller tanks?

Even a school of Chromis looks good as well. Get about 4-5 of them and they will be fun to watch. You can go to liveaquaria.com and look at the fish selection with the recommended tank sizes for each one. There is a bunch out there that will work with what you have.

Mike

So for those of us with small tanks, what WOULD you recommend? I was looking at some butterflies the other day. very pretty fish, just as pretty as Angels In my opinion. are they good for smaller tanks?

Clownfish (all but maroon)
Cardinalfish
Royal Gramma
Various Gobies (beware sand sifters if using sandbeds)
Firefish
Damsels (yellowtail, or other more "docile" varieties)
Pygmy Angels
Hawkfish
Pseudochromis
Some Wrasses
Various Blennies
Frogfish
Leaf Fish
Valentini Puffer

TONS! Obviously some of the above are not the best for very small tanks....but some research should show the best options out of the huge pool of choices.

Thanks everyone

...for all your feedback. I'll wait on the angels some more, since my other fish seem to be doing well right now. It doesn't look like adding one more small fish would overcrowd my tank (all my fish are getting along right now, but as mentioned, I'm sure that could change once they begin to grow).

As for my UG, I've used it in the past when my tank was first set up, and though it may be primitive, it has worked well for me. I guess I've been lucky :wink:

Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom