Is distilled water as good as ro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan321

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did not want to buy a unit and my lfs doesn't sell rodi water.. I have heard distilled water is okay. Is this right. I'm also looking at tap filters for on the sink like Brita and pur. It is for a fowlr.

I have always used distilled water from the grocery store and have never had problems in my old tanks. It just more of a hassle to buy it all the time.

Hey you deffinatly shouldn't bother with the tap filters they are just a carbon filter so your phosphates will remain. You can buy a cheap RO system from the internet for usually 100$-125$ 3stage is plenty with a 3 gallon tank that will produce 50 gallons day just fill your own jugs it will pay for itself in 20 bottles from the store. If your on city water you only need to do filter/membrain changes every 3 years. IMO well worth it plus you dont have to lug bottles around and waste gas getting them. :)

wow..every 3 years on the R.O. membrane? you must have some clean water!
that said, i recommend a R.O.D.I. for everyone who is keeping fish, salt or fresh water.

Wow that is only a little rechanging. Could I start with distilled until I have enough money for a unit?

I dont think its much different than the average city it averages about 300ppm more in spring due to spring runoff, but you got to remember most home units do 50 gallons a day with a new membrain so who uses even close to that so over a couple years production will slow to 25 gallons per day i still easily make that the membrain wont affect quality just volume of production it basically will have more reject water than purified, but if you install a permeat pump it with cut your waste water in half.

Fishfan321 said:
Wow that is only a little rechanging. Could I start with distilled until I have enough money for a unit?

For sure either that or RO water would work just long term worth the investment i think.

Back
Top Bottom