Is it a bad idea to buy a lot of salt that will last a long time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank and use 2-3 gallons of salt water per week. On Amazon I can buy a 25 gallon Instant Ocean salt package for $15. I can buy a 200 gallon package for $40 but it will take a year to use it all. Is it bad to buy that much and store it for that long?
Thanks!

Buying salt in advance is fine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your buying the 200g box I recommend you get a 5g bucket along with a tight cover to store it ,
the slightest moisture will make it hard as a rock .

If your buying the 200g box I recommend you get a 5g bucket along with a tight cover to store it ,

And yes it will be very bad. My very first bag of salt turned into a brick because I didn't store it properly. It was horrible. But last Black Friday I bought 3 of the 200gal boxes of the instant ocean salt mix because they were on sale. Properly stored they will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

^^^ This and these lids work pretty good;
Leaktite Screw Top Black Lid for 5-Gal. Pail (Pack of 3)-209299 - The Home Depot
they have two pieces with gasket seals, an outer rim and the center screw part and fit any 5 gallon bucket. you need a rubber mallet to pound the lid rim on though...LOL
being able to screw the lid on and off and still having a good seal is a big bonus.

I buy the boxes. The boxes contain 4 bags of 50 gallons worth of salt. I put 2 bags into a bucket with a lid and leave the others on the shelf unopened until needed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom