Is macro algae a necessary for a refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
My macroalgae was on it's way out not looking good so I pulled it out and ditched it. My question is if I have a really good skimmer (which I do) and about 130 pounds of live rock for the biological filtration do I need to even worry about having macroalgae in my refugium?

Honestly I could just careless about taking care of this tan kafter my Wrasse and Emp angel died, unfortunately I still have two fish in there that I can't just let die ya know?

Steve

its not necessary, but they should help u control your nitrate in a nice level.
but if u don't take care of it, IMO they can be a problem to a tank.

Tou dont need macro in there if you dont want to. It`s called a sump with no macro in it and added water volume is a good thing also. Hang in there. Things will get better.

Thanks for the support, I do feel better today. I went ahead and picked up two more bunches of macro and gonna see if the 2nd time around with it will do better now that I have the proper power compact lighting.

As far as lighting goes I've been told I should run my refugium light opposite of my tank light, is this true and why?

Steve

Running your fuge lights on an opposite schedule of your display system lighting helps keep the pH from fluctuating as much. Normally, your pH will rise during the day and fall at night when the lights are out. Having a light on over the fuge at night helps keep the pH more constant.

Only problem with that is the tank is located in my room, so I cant run the light past 11pm seeing as I have to sleep and I require pitch dark lol. That's where I'm kinda stuck lol. Which is why I suggested running the refugium during the day and turning the tank light on in the evening nightish time.

Steve

Chaetomorpha I think. Is that what it's called? If there's a problem in my system is it gonna kill the macroalgae, too?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom