Is there such a thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erictoronto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As to much cleaning algae, my tank is full of it and I wonder If its bad. I got a thick layer stuck on my glass that I been having trouble scraping out on the back. I feel like my tank is being overwhelmed by it. My new hob protein skinner I had for two weeks is already covered in it...what should I do?

How long do you leave your lights on for? Are you using tap water? Do you have enough water flow?

I believe I have enough water flow...I am taking over my brothers 65g who doesn't want his tank anymore. I only have a protein skimmer and a marinelife 360 canister filter that has nothing in it. I leave my lights on for the day and turn it off completely at night (is that bad I figured my fish need to sleep too) this past week I changed it up a little by turning off the lights during the day, turning on the lights when I get back to work and turning on the lunar nights when I am sleeping. I find that my tank is completely covered in red...not sure if it's good or not...I like to be able to see my fish so I keep scraping the glass ever so often

Erictoronto said:
I believe I have enough water flow...I am taking over my brothers 65g who doesn't want his tank anymore. I only have a protein skimmer and a marinelife 360 canister filter that has nothing in it. I leave my lights on for the day and turn it off completely at night (is that bad I figured my fish need to sleep too) this past week I changed it up a little by turning off the lights during the day, turning on the lights when I get back to work and turning on the lunar nights when I am sleeping. I find that my tank is completely covered in red...not sure if it's good or not...I like to be able to see my fish so I keep scraping the glass ever so often

And yes I use tap water I add a declorinator as of the moment I am saving for a rodi filter

Ok. I personally do not use lights at night. And have been trying to cut my lights down to like 6 to 8 hours. Tap water is another contributer to the algae. Are you cleaning things good during water changes.

Is this a red slime like algae?
Does it come off in sheets?
That would be Cyanobacteria which is caused by too many nutrients in the tank along with low flow.

10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control

Normal ligthing is 12 hours on / 12 hours off type of lighting dependant. Cut that to 4 hours on during major algae outbreaks, or even less if you can.

Back
Top Bottom