is this live rock or just algae covered rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neoginn

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok as requested this is the picture of the "gunk". this is the only piece of live rock that i bought and it cost me 26 beans. i wonder if my live rock is still "live". once again this tank is only a few days into cycling.
img_712581_0_35b7c7d61e58e977763488345d37b160.jpg

Where did you get it? Was it in another tank? What makes it live is tha nitrifying bacteria that will grow on it to break down ammonia and nitrites. Also to some is the little critters that are living inside the rock. In any case you will not be able to see if it is live unless the little critters come out to play. Tha bacteria you`ll know it`s there if your ammonia and nitrites stay at 0.

I agree with mel, LR (at least the way it is meant) indicates the presence of nitrifiying bacteria. If you are wondering if there is life on the rock, check the colors, and there should be some worms or "pods" when you lift it up, also, you might see some algae or feather dusters.....If the rock looks bleached, then it is probably just base rock. From your pic, it looks like there is some coraline there (maybe a little purple...)?

yeah there is some purple and somee green. no feather dusters or any other creatures. i think they died during the cycling. which bring me to my next point today i did a water quality test here is what i got:
Temp- 78 degs.
salinity/specific gravity- 1.024
PH- 8
phosphate - 0.04 ppm (ballpark figure)
ammonia and nitrite- 0

What about nitrAtes? How long have you been cycling? Did you see spikes in anything?

There won't be any ammonia or you won't be able to check for it unless you add fish or food. Are you attempting to cycle with this rock? Chances are it may be just cured rock, not live yet.

I saw a spike 2 days ago, hence why i am confused. as for nitrates, i dont have the saltwater test for that yet. i need to go get one, unless i can use my freshwater test kit for nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom