Just drilled my first tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the process of setting up my 200g reef I decided to drill a couple holes in my 56g refugium. I used the diamond dremel bits and it was much easier than I thought. The bits were around $9 each and it took one to the the holes started and a second to finish them so for less than $20 I got two holes.

If anybody has been contemplating this but is afraid, don't be. As long as you have a partner to spray water keeping it cool and go slow allowing the bit to do the cutting you'll have no problems. I do belive my tank was 1/4" glass becasue it was a bit taller than normal tanks so drillinga smaller tank would be a little toughter but I'm going to try this week on my 30g, and another hole in the back of my 200 and fix a crack in my 150g.

sweet. Do you know if tempured glass can or cannot be drilled? My Oceanic tank came with a warning that said that it had a tempured glass bottom that is good for strenght, but cannot be drilled.

Just be careful that you dont try to drill Tempured glass. could be bad

most bottoms are made of tempered which should not be drilled. There is a guy on RC that has drilled hundreds of tanks that claims he has drilled tempered before and will do it for a certain fee but it's at your risk of course.

Back
Top Bottom