Just filled my 1st saltwater tank today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slindsay6117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few questions, I bought live sand on sale, I know it probably isn't really live after sitting in the store, I'm using dry rock and I am planning on getting a few pounds of live rock. I had to go buy water and it's about 68 degrees because I don't have a way to heat 30 gallons of water before I put it in the tank, my question is do I need to wait until it warms up before I add my live rock? And do I need to add anything else to produce ammonia such as shrimp or liquid ammonia? And when do I need to add the cuc, after the cycle or at the first signs of algae? Any help is much appreciated, I've read so many conflicting things that I'm completely confused!

Ok. Well first off, a CUC is never mandatory, all they really due is take detritus and turn it into different detritus. Second, once you get fish, heating the water is extremely important. So I'd go out and buy a heater for your saltwater and obviously one in the DT. Any critters should be added after the cycle.
As for the ammonia, yes that's how you cycle the tank.

When should I start checking for ammonia, after a week or two after adding the live rock and shrimp?

Congrats! When I started 5 months ago I put in live rock and sand right after u added the water but the thing is is that I bought and had previously set up the heater before I put sand water and rocks in so once I turned in the heater in about an hour it was where it needed to be so I would recommend getting the heater as soon as possible it so don't add any shrimp or anything that is a moving creature until you get a heater

Ok I have a heater and the tank is up to temp, I'm adding a shrimp today, should I leave the light off during the cycle? Also the guy at the lfs gave me a bottle of smartstart complete, it claims to cycle a tank in 24 hours but I don't think I'm going to use it after reading some reviews.

I wouldn't worry to much about the lights everything that I've put in that is like a fish or a CUC has been absolutely fine but it's up to you it wouldn't hurt it either way. As for the smart start thing use it if you fish but I would use it and wait for three to four weeks and test your water if good add something small like snails or hermit crabs those guys are awesome they will eat any uneaten food too

Back
Top Bottom