Just Getting Started On SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hitatree

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm helping a friend of mine start up a small SW tank. Tank is a normal 30 gallon tank and he just wants fish, no coral or anything too hard to keep. I'm experianced with freshwater fish/plants, but never have touched on saltwater. Just have a couple questions and comments on some of my ideas.
1.With filtration, i've been reading about using LR and good current just for the filtration. So I dont have to put any kinds of canister filter or anything?
2. With lighting, how much is required with just fish and then with live rock?
3. What are some good fish for a first timer in saltwater?
4. Is tapwater sufficient, and if so is it good to let it age for a couple hours or days before using it?
5. Lastly, what kind of foods are good to use?

1. From what I have read the no-filter thing only works if you have live rock with a live sand bed.
2. Whatever light that comes with the hood would probably do if you are not keeping corals or anything that needs light for photosynthesis.
3. I would recommend Damsel fish, they are cheap and hardy. Get one (or two) by themselves first for awhile to get your tank cycling.
4. People here seem to be against using tapwater, but I would say it depends how your water is. You don't want any metals in there,and if it is only 30 gallons I would just buy some distilled water if it were me. "Reverse Osmosis" seems to be a new way of making distilled water, but I think they are really the same thing in that they are virtually mineral free.
5. Food depends on what creatures you get! For damsel fish they will eat flake food. Any fish will like live brine shrimp and its fun to watch them eat it. Just make sure you don't overfeed them and create waste.

I advise against cycling a tank with fish. Here is an article on >>>Cycling your tank without the use of fish<<<.

Also, there are some options as far as filtration, I recommend some live rock and skimmer. I think the LR will act as a more natural aquascape for whatever fish is decided upon. Here is a thread I found in the Fish Only forum of this site. It is for a much larger scale, but gives some general ideas: >>>Which Filtration for Fish Only<<<. If you decide to go with live rock, your tank will be known as a fish only with live rock (or FOWLR).

There are a lot of really cool small fish that would go well with a fish only of that size. Clownfish, blennies, or damsels.

I also think that at least RO water should be used with RO/DI being ideal. The less tap water impurities the healthier the fish, IMO.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom