Juvi Green Spotted Puffer Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlbreed

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ey guys first thread here..
I finished cycling my tank. Added the new juvi green spotted puffer. The tank is brackish and I'm going to acclimate to marine. There are 2 black mollies in my tank (for now)
The puffer is very small (under 1inch)
What do I feed him to make sure his teeth stay small? I think he's still to small for snails (I'm trying to breed ramshorn but no tiny baby ones yet :(
Any ideas?

Go to petsmart or petco. They have plenty of small pond snail to give away.

Do you have pics? I haven't seen a GSP that small yet.

Sure I'm not home right now but I'll post one soon. I have small snails but how small is too big for him?

Anything bigger than its eye is too big. Even if its too big, your GSP might have a chance biting at the bigger snail shell.

btw, you posted in the wrong section.

Here he is next to the black Mollie ..
Thx guys. And sorry for posting in the wrong area I didn't know where to put it. First thread here for me :/

Attachments

• image-1236933619.jpg
    image-1236933619.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 128
Solved.. I just tried and he likes snails bigger than his eyes :D any ideas on good frozen food for him? I got brine shrimp for treat but I'd like something nutritious for him.. :)

Where do I get them? Frozen from my local grocery store and cut to tiny chunks or from a pet store?
Anything specific I should know about feeding them?

Local grocery store. I've only seen cockle at Costco. I can also find raw chemical-free prawns in a big bag at costco. Both come freezed, so all you have to do is thaw and feed. Your GSP won't eat all of the prawn, so break it up into pieces while its still in the frozen form. I use tongs to hold the prawn.

As for the cockle (or mussel), i thaw and throw the whole thing into my tank. It takes my puff a few minutes to find its way to the meat. I've only fed it cockle twice, but I think it will eventually figure out a way to get to the meat faster.

Please don't overfeed. Let it eat until its stomach is slightly rounded. You don't want a bulging stomach. Small meals spread across the day is better than one huge feast.

Its feeding schedule will change as it gets older.

So He is still super Small like i said so maye shrimp tail would be good for now.. if that..
I'll keep the other recommendations in mind for later. Btw any ideas on plants fir a brackish 1.010 sg tank? Im having trouble finding stuff..

You might not want to forget about plants unless you'll have other places for them once your tank becomes full marine.

Java Moss and Java Fern can tolerate up to 1.010. I think the Fern can tolerate a little more than 1.010
Moss ball and Crypts up to 1.009
Anacharis up to 1.008

I kinda changed my mind on that hence I'm searching for plants I'm keeping it brackish but varying the salinity up and down from 1.010 to 1.007 and back up in a cycle. That simulates brackish the best I heard from a reputable source.
And I am thinking of starting a nano reef instead, that way I can get corals and all that good stuff too.
Both the puffer and me will be happy ;)

Thanks for the recommendations that's what j needed couldn't find sg for plants in my research..

Back
Top Bottom