Kick Start on Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarethDavison

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just set up my first saltwater tank ready to take FOWLR and was just needed some kick start advise and feed back concerning levels. At the moment it has no live rock in there just coral bedding, the water I got from my local aquatics store and salt.

After 48hrs these are my results

Water temp: 27 degrees C
Specific Gravity: 1.025 (actually a little over)
NO3: 10mg/l
NO2: 0mg/l
Ca: 500mg
KH: 3d
pH: 7.8

from what I've read the Ca is sky high
KH needs to raise along with pH

Is this the norm giving the time it's been cycling for or do I need to respond?

During the cycle do not worry about anything but Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Everything else will be skewed because of the high nitrites and ammonia. Read our article about Sw cycling in our articles section.

Thanks smitty. I've had my tank set up for 5days now with nothing in there except saltwater with the power head and filter running as advised by my aquatics center. They said I should add live rock after a week and another week latter think about adding the fish after checking levels. Would this have been a waste of time and I guess I need to get me a shrimp!? It's a 27 gallon tank so just the one shrimp. Thanks guys.

I would add all the rock now and skip the fish until your tank it ready. Get all the rock first, then add a shrimp and check the levels about 3 days after adding the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom