killer eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes your snowflake will eat ANYTHING that will fit in its mouth. Since they cant chew they will usually not bother things that they feel they can not swallow whole. If your eels mouth was large enough for the seahorse then yes its very possible it was eaten.

I will mildly disagree with Aaron on this.. snowflakes are not known to be aggressive eels. While it is possible, it is not very likely that it happened. It would have to be a very very hungry snowflake to eat a seahorse.

True, I didnt mean to imply that it likly attacked it as the aggressor. I was simply trying to say if it was in the mood to feed anything it could get in its mouth could become its meal.

I dont see them as being jumpers but have you checked around the tank for the possible chance it jumped out of the system.

If you have a good number of crabs, bristlworms, or other scavengers, it doesnt take them long to dispose of a corpse.

How big was the horse. Look closely he may have changed his color if he felt threatened in any way to hide. He may be in a cave or between rocks , it is not hard for them to disappear to their surroundings , I had a few heart stopping moments when I kept horses that I could not find . It is quite possible tho that he was eaten .

I don't think the snowflake ate your seahorse. Snowflake eels have flat molars that are designed for crushing shells of crabs, shrimp, etc. They are not generally fish eaters. That's not saying they won't pick off a lazy or unhealthy fish if the opportunity arises but if you are feeding him twice a week, I seriously doubt this is what happened to your horse. I'm thinking your seahorse died and your clean up crew did their job and disposed of the body.

You might want to rethink tankmate compatability before getting another one. Seahorses really belong in a species specific tank.

Lisa took the words out of my mouth. They need to be in a species only tank. They cannot compete for food from the others in the tank. I am not an expert on seahorses but I have been doing some research on them as I want to do a seahorse tank.

This seahorse was given to me and thats the only reason I had it in there.since the price went up so high on them I dont think ill be having them in my tank

Back
Top Bottom