Largest fish in a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently cycling a 55 gallon FOWLR tank, and am curious what is the largest fish that I can put in there comfortably?

I am not interested in Clown Fish, Damsels, etc...

I should have bought a larger aquarium, but as this is my first tank was unaware that a 55 is a baby saltwater tank :lol:

I am attracted to lion fish, triggers, puffers, etc...

Are there any fish in that class that would be okay in a 55? I really like the Huma Trigger, Porcupine Puffer, and the various lion fish. I have ran across so much variation as to what is the minimum tank size that my head is spinning. Several website that I have come across have listed a 50 gallon as acceptable for a Volitan Lion, and a 55 as acceptable for a Huma Trigger. Other people say those need much larger tanks, so I am confused.

I am considering putting together a 160 gallon next year if this tank goes well, so what about the possibility of buying the fish I want and moving them when the 160 is done?

Would the 55 be too small for one small 2" Huma Trigger? There are two that size at my LFS. They also have a Fu Manchu Lion that is awesome, but I have read that they are not for the inexperienced, but they should fit in a 55 correct? They only get around 4" or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jared

I had a Fu Manchu Lion for several years. Just make sure it's eating, I always ask the LFS to feed any of the more expensive fish before buying them. It took a while but mine started eating other foods other than silversides, thats all the store was feeding it. Nice fish but you have to hand feed it as it's a slow hunter and most other fish will steal it's food.

the fu manchu should work in a 55. also check out anglers. there are some really awesome looking ones, and they require very little space. if you don't mind spending for something awesome, wartskin anglers are my favorite. also rhinopias are totally amazing too.

a volitan lion gets to be about the size of a basketball.

if you are going with a 160 next year you could get a tiny trigger or puffer. just don't overcrowd that 55.

"just don't overcrowd that 55."

I was thinking two fish max; like a small 2-3" Porcupine puffer, and a small 2-3" Humu Trigger.

Jared

"Undulate triggerfish according to Foster and Smith"

That is a beautiful fish, my LFS has one of those as well, but he's much larger than the Humu's they have, very active as well. Thanks for the tip, I will look into that fish as well.

Jared

i would not recommend an undulate trigger for a 55. not unless you keep it by itself. they are the most aggressive of all the triggers IMO. i would fear for any other fish.

+1 for Dougs advice on the Undulate. They are EXTREMELY aggressive from the experience I've had with them. One particular 6 inch Undulate that was housed in a 55 gal with a Volitan Lionfish of around 8 inches, and a 3-4 inch Porcupine puffer went berserk. The Undulate ATE the Lionfish and then killed the puffer. Definitely best kept alone.

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess that I will pass on an Undulate Triggerfish. Which Triggerfish is the most docile?

Jared

i think the niger trigger is a good choice.
the blue throat and pink tail are both considered less aggressive the most.
i'm not totally trigger savvy but i know the ones to avoid- undulate, and clown.

I really like the Niger trigger, they have a cool crescent moon shaped tail, also the purple color is beautiful. Most Petco's seem to have a Niger, as well as my LFS. My LFS also had a pink tail, huma X 2, and a undulate trigger.

Jared

i really haven't seen an ugly trigger. some day, i hope to have a tank that i can keep one in- the only trouble is, i'm a reef addict. every FOWLR i ever owned was only one for a couple weeks, until i bought proper lighting...lol.

I think the humu trigger is a great pet. I have a humu and a Niger and they are wonderful.

Blue chin trigger is safe with soft corals from what I've heard. But look out shrimp! lol. Niger triggers get pretty big if they live out their lives. Well over a foot long.

I have a niger trigger for the most part he is very calm and minds his buisness but everynow and then he will have small spats of aggression. They do get large but seem to grow fairly slowly from my expiernece.

Back
Top Bottom