Lighting a Deep Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soffutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could you suggest your best options for fish only system that is 40 inches in depth? Shimmer is important to me. Possible Kessil versus Halide. Open to any other suggestions. The heat from halides isn't a big deal as my filtration room is in my basement which runs 65 degrees year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't use either. Kessils are way expensive for just light, and halides use way too much electric. If you are not keeping photosynthetic creatures any LED fixture will do. What size tank is this?

It is a custom built tank. Thanks for the recommendation. Loving the price point!

One more thing...those I posted aren't dimmable. There are dimmable models for a few more dollars that you can adjust to make the color just right for you. These non-dimmable models are fine though, and will give your tank a 14-18k look.

Thanks for your input. I think possibly I got all tied up in the promotional stuff from Kessil about the shimmer effect. Does it really break down to just having good agitation of the water to create a good shimmer in your opinion?

Not quite. You need light that's coming from one point, and not over the entire tank like florescent tube lighting does. That's why you get the shimmer from the sun, metal halide lighting, LED lighting, but not tube lighting like T5 or power compact. Obviously the more turbulent the surface is, the more shimmer you'll see, but no matter how turbulent the water is with tube lighting, you won't see any.

Back
Top Bottom