Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flamron

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am preparing to set up a 55 gal FOWLR and was wondering what type of lighting I will need. I don't think I will have any coral for now, so I am not too concerned about upgrading for now. What I have now is the original hood and lights that came with the tank. I was wondering if I could just put new bulbs in the existing light strips and be okay. They are two 24" strips. They currently have 19 watt bulbs in them. Would a higher wattage bulb in the light strips be okay? Thanks!

With FOWLR the NO bulbs would be okay, the only problem would be if your LR came with any hitchhikers that need higher light. Usually with the NO bulbs you need to buy longer to get more wattage and they won't fit in the fixture you have. Two 19 watts would probably be fine until you get the reef bug get a good color temp bulb like a 50/50 actinic/10000kelvin :wink:

If the LR does come with some hitchhikers, could I just get the 50/50 bulbs and put them in the original light fixtures? Or would I have to buy a new lighting system (really don't have the cash to do this, or I would do it anyway)

You can get the 50/50 bulbs in any length and wattage. I think 50/50 is the Coralife name for that bulb, check you LFS. The mix of blue and white light from one bulb gives a good natural look to the tank. If you ever want to upgrade you could go to compact fluorescents. I think 55 watt compacts are like 22 inches and you could fit one in each of your current strips. Two 55 watters wouldn't be much light if you keep corals but would be fine for FO.

Back
Top Bottom