lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
i plan to get a lighting upgrade at the beginning of the year with my tax return money, but i would like to do some research now while i can.

i want to get an anenome, and i have been told that i should try to get 6 wpg for my tank. my tank is 40 gallons, so i would need about 260 watts total. all the lighting setups that i have seen that are close to that wattage are either a 2x96 watt setup, or something way bigger which will cost a whole lot more money.

my question is....would the 2x96 watt fixture be enough for an anenome or will i have to fork out a whole bunch of extra money for bigger lighting?

if there is a website that anybody knows of that will ship to an APO box with some lighting that would work for my tank to let an anenome survive, please share.

my tank is 36 in. long, which seems to give me trouble too. i keep finding lighting fixture with the right amount of watts for my tank, but they're 48 in. long.

that actually looks awesome!!! thanks a lot, that will provide about 7 1/2 watts per gallon for my tank. and you say it's good for an anenome? that's great. and just to make sure that i'm reading it right, the lights are "free gifts" with the purchase, correct? and also the replacement lights are pretty cheap too. once again, thank you for the link. i will be ordering them in about 2 months or so, so when i do finally get them in, i'll make sure to post some good pics.

i was looking around that site some more after i posted this, and i saw the other system that is 36" long. it's a 480 watt system. now i know this may seem like a stupid question, but is it possible to have too much light? i don't think so, but i just want to double check. i'm just thinking that by adding an extra $70 to what i had in mind to spend, i can get 480 watts instead of around 200 watts. to me, it would be worth it.

I believe there can be such a thing as too much lighting. If it is you might want to hang your new lighting higher above your tank.

the problem is that i live in base housing, so i'm not allowed to put holes in the ceiling. i was just thinking about getting the bigger light set up and then just putting it up on the legs to keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom