Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffballurchin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our lionfish about 3 weeks ago hurt his jaw...the left side of his face was extremely swollen making his face on that side look round...even his gills on that side was puffed up...he looked like a chipmunk with stores of food in his mouth...(unfortunately no pics ; ; )

we are still not sure if he just extremely bruised that side of his face or if he actually broken something...the ant-inflammatory medication has finally started to kick in and has brought down the swelling to about half of what it was...the gills are starting to look normal again...

it also has been 3 weeks since he has last eaten...he is starting to move his jaw more, but is still refusing to eat...he will chase after the food, but won't open his mouth to eat...i am thinking of either getting small ghost shrimp or small fish...i am wondering which one will be easiest to catch and won't hurt his jaw in the process...i know ghost shrimp are jumpers and may try to jump while in his mouth...or should i just stick with the frozen food and wait for him to eat it?

I would probably do ghost shrimp. They crush very easily and the fish can easily give disease and will take pressure to kill. I hope he gets better. Good luck. Also try soaking frozen food in garlic to lure him and boost immune system. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom