Lionfish not eating and hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had my lionfish now for 8 days and he still sits in the same spot. I tried all kinds of dead and live food but won't eat. Not even holding the food in front of him helps. Al the tank parameters are fine and the rest of the fish are doing great. Currently he's in a 75 gallon with a snowflake eel and some smaller fish. Is it too soon to worry about him starving?

maybe hes blind? LFS had one that was blind and they had to spot feed everytime.GL

Tried spot feeding. Held feeding pliers in front of him. Just turns around an hides. :(

Have you tried feeding him live food to see if that will entice him to eat? He might just need the thrill of catching his dinner.

Ok he is still hiding. And still not eating. Any advice getting him to come out?

keep your lights off longer the you do had one that would eat an was very shy for about a month kept lights of an fed him that way and seems like he got more adjusted that way

It's been 4 weeks and they have not eaten yet! They only want live foods. I even tried to dangle a piece of silverside on a fishing line. One of them has also developed a extended belly. I think I'm giving in to live foods for them

Awww something I can finally help on. Start feeding the live. they need to eat. I did not know they could go a month. Once they are back eating live. Use there greed to help you out. Drop like two feeders in so they know its feeding time. Then take another feeder tap him on top of the water. As the lionfish gets closer let the feeder go. Do that a few times till they start waiting for it. Now use a live feeder put it on your feeding stick. It will move around. Let them eat it off that. Soon the will see the feeding stick and know its dinner time. Then you can put what ever you want on the end if it. I have done this dozens of times. Some times it takes a day or two sometimes a week or two. But it has worked everytime for me.

Back
Top Bottom