Live rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knuckles23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple pieces of live rock in my 29g tank, just put in about 3 weeks ago. They are both equal distance from the lights.. They both have got purple coraline algae, but one is developing alot of purple hair (almost carpet looking). The other rock is developing some green algae, so i know i will cut back lighting, and do a PWC. Why the different types of algae on 2 rocks in the same place? Is the purple carpet looking algae ok? Any suggestioins on some type of cleaner to put in for the rock? I have about 30 crabs, and 20 nasarious snails.. I put in a cleaner shrimp, but he got eaten before morning......

You might want to check out this Nuisance Algae Guide - Nano-Reef.com Forums . Nassarius snails clean up left over food not algae. As your tank cycles it will also have a nice variety of algaes, if you can figure out the cause you can keep them to a minimum usually it is a combination of things that make your nitrates and phosphates go up.

Your two rocks may be in the same location now but may have been harvested miles apart. Purple algae is good, Tangs love that stuff..
30 crabs, I assume they are hermits, are allot for a 29g. Pickup some snails that eat algae. Nerites are what I use..As long as they are suppose to eat algae they should be okay.

+1 also if i were you ill take some hermits and trade them in for snails because sooner or later they will eat your snails for their shield

Back
Top Bottom