"Live" Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
How can I tell if the "Live" Rock I got from my LFS is actually alive. He said that it is cured so I shouldn't have to cure it. I saw a little tiny starfish on it when I put it in my tank, and I also have one little aptasia on one piece. (Which I am planning on taking care of, just looking for the best way without adding chemicals if possible.) I can take some pictures if that would help.

lemmon juice should take care of that apista just take a hypodermic needle fill with lemmon juice and inject into the base

I heard that would work but they said into the mouth. I touched it with the end of my algae scraper and it sucked back into the rock...How can I inject it if it goes into the rock?

Yep you really wanna get him while he's out. they are fast little buggers tho.

Good luck, just have some patience it will pop backout and you can zap him right dead center!

In my experience peppermint shrimp have worked very well at getting rid of it. Perhaps ive always been extremely lucky with it but its never failed for me. Perhaps you should give that a try.

Good luck!

I dont think there's really a way to prove LR is actually alive when you buy it. You just have to submerge it for awhile and test with ammonia. I got my rocks from the LFS and didnt know about dry rocks so all of it was LR. Only took me two weeks to cycle so it must had been quite alive :)

For the rock, generally if it has been kept in a tank with flowing water, it's live to some degree. As for the aiptasia, I found it easiest to take some pickling lime powder and mix it with a few drops of water to make a thick paste. Then, just take the paste and smother the aiptasia, doesn't matter if it's in or out.

Back
Top Bottom