Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where does live rock come from?
It comes from various parts of our ocean depending on the actual LR itself..

When its taken does it destroy reefs?
Yes it does.. Slowly but it does.. Unless its the Aquacultured stuff that Liverocks.com sells.. The aquacultured stuff is placed in the ocean and Is basically a man made reef.. It stays there for a while and inherits all sorts of new creatures and such therefor becoming LR..

HTH<
James

When its taken does it destroy reefs?

That is highly debatable, alot depends on where the LR is taken from, it is supposed to be taked from the sandy areas, which is LR that has been knocked off the reef structure by storms and wave action. Also non=aquacultured LR is a renewable resource. However, I am sure that in some 3rd world countries that are feeding their people with the export of LR....they have played fast and loose with the rules governing it's collection.

ya that is what I was going to say reef. It does grow back ,but like much tree's if you harvest till the forest is desimated it will take a really long time.If you take only a portion it heals quickly I am sure.

There are many orginizations out there working to establish proper collecting and farming practices in the third world countries alot of the 'wild' rock comes from. Any FL aquaculture rock you get is 100% guarinteed to not come from a wild reef. Aquaculture rock is rock that has been intentally placed in specific plots of ocean space and let to 'grow' for a few years and then is collected and sold.

i have aquacultured LR, and i was extrememly happy with it. i thought it was as good as, if not better than non aquacultured LR my friend received. since most aquacultured LR comes from around here (ie FL) it has less stress on the inverts and algae than stuff coming from far away. i would personally reccommend aquacultured. i dont condone taking anything out of its natural habitat, especially one as precariously situated as a coral reef.

Back
Top Bottom