Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashley73

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why is parts of my live rock turning white?

Attachments

• image-3687986602.jpg
    image-3687986602.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 140
What kind of lights are those. Even coraline algae needs some light, and that unit may not suffice.

Not sure what a plain LED light is, but it doesn't look like it will support coraline algae. Forget about anything else in the corals then.

Not sure what a plain LED light is, but it doesn't look like it will support coraline algae. Forget about anything else in the corals then.

So what sort of light do you need for Live Rock? I was told it didn't matter.

Pics of the live rock going white. Could it be the powerhead ? It flows across the front of them ?

Attachments

• image-1610047192.jpg
    image-1610047192.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2696876316.jpg
    image-2696876316.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 93
Two Cerith snails only.

well i get that rules the cuc out for cleaning, my cuc demolishes any algae i have growing on anything, i have 3 ceriths, 3 nassarius, 3 turbos, 9 blue leg hermits, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, and 2 peppermint shrimp that are on the clock 24/7 (y)

Just plain LED lights. Running about 7 hours a day.

oh and by plain do you mean a freshwater led fixture? as in a 8w or something like a marineland or an aquaticlife?

The coraline in my tank does not mind water flow. It even grows on the powerheads to the point of needing 6 month vinegar washes.
When I had a FOWLR and a single T8 bulb, the only coraline that lasted and grew was on the topside of the uppermost rocks. If yours is dying in areas where there is less light, then I would still suspect lights.
As for not needing specific lighting in a FOWLR tank, it's true because caoraline algae is not critical or even important to the health of the tank. I thinks its purely asthetic.

well i get that rules the cuc out for cleaning, my cuc demolishes any algae i have growing on anything, i have 3 ceriths, 3 nassarius, 3 turbos, 9 blue leg hermits, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, and 2 peppermint shrimp that are on the clock 24/7 (y)

oh and by plain do you mean a freshwater led fixture? as in a 8w or something like a marineland or an aquaticlife?

Yes its 8watt LED

Possibly water conditions as well I believe coraline is a calcium based algae so if your Ca, Mg, Alk etc etc are correct. Do you use reef salt mix or regular?

Possibly water conditions as well I believe coraline is a calcium based algae so if your Ca, Mg, Alk etc etc are correct. Do you use reef salt mix or regular?

x2 or store bought water, run a test with a good test kit.

I use this salt mix. So do i need a stronger light to support the live rock and encourage coralline algae?

Attachments

• image-81479697.jpg
    image-81479697.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 48
I don't think your lights are the problem. I've seen it grow in sump with low power refugium lights which are probably the same wattage and spectrum as your fixture. It grew in my old 55 set up with only 2 6500K t5 bulbs

I don't think your lights are the problem. I've seen it grow in sump with low power refugium lights which are probably the same wattage and spectrum as your fixture. It grew in my old 55 set up with only 2 6500K t5 bulbs

were they 48" t5ho on that 55g? i think her's are a small light bar for freshwater that doesnt cover everything in the tank like a t5ho would. i think thats the problem to be honest, but then again she hasnt posted any test results either so ill wait for that too.

were they 48" t5ho on that 55g? i think her's are a small light bar for freshwater that doesnt cover everything in the tank like a t5ho would. i think thats the problem to be honest, but then again she hasnt posted any test results either so ill wait for that too.
no I'm pretty sure they were the original 18" or 24" bulbs. One over each side. It was a freshwater setup prior to the SW conversion.

Back
Top Bottom