Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just got 10 LBS of LR from the LFS. It looked like decent quality rock. I have had it in my tank for about 3 days. Today I noticed a gray pattern growing on one of the rocks. It looks as if someone painted it on to the rock. It is gray with darker gray lines making a pattern. I'm kind of confused as to what it is. Any help please?

Also...on of the rocks there is this small (1-2 inch), brown thing with jelly like spikes floating about. If I could get some info on that as well please.

- $imple

I have a Canon G2 Powershot 4.0 Megapixel digital camera but I can't seem to get a good picture of anything inside my tank. I could use some help. I don't think there is anything wrong with the camera I'm using so it must be my technique.

Wow. I heard people saying "use a tripod" and I was like, yeah right, that's going to do much. Well I tried it and my pictures got 100% clearer. Ok here's what I got (the last one is of the weird jelly spikey thingy):

turn off all the lights in the room, except the tank light itself. use a tripod on the camera, or if you don't have one, steady your elbows on a chair, tv tray to minimize blurriness.

Ok I didn't resize so they didn't come up, but here they are now. The first gray pattern thingy looks greenish in the picture but it is really gray though.

The first picture looks like Aipstasia, maybe someone can make a positive ID for you. The second one may be some sort of macroalgae.

I think you might be right. What exactly is it though? I mean what class of creatures would it go in. I'm kind of worried about it because I don't have very good lighting and I don't want it to die off. I am assuming it either has very strong senses or it has eyes because when I bring the net near it, it goes into its hole on the live rock. Completely hidden.

one more thing, i have read so much negative things about them. what is so bad about them and how should i get rid of it?

the reason folks dislike them is the same reason people don't like dandelions in their grass. They grow quickly, spread rapidly and take over. Aptasia also has a nasty sting when it encounters fish or other corals. Basically, they're a nuisance. (and they're not all that pretty either)

Hey, check out the first picture again. Just to the right of the aptasia, it looks like there is another critter that needs identifying!

What else is in your tank? Shrimp friendly? I've been set up for 9 months and keep 5-10 peppermint in my 75g. Haven't seen any aptasia yet.

yup you guessed it right, that's a hermit crab. I am thinking of getting a cleaner shrimp, will that be as effective as a peppermint shrimp?

darn....anyone have an extra peppermint shrimp laying around? :lol:

$imple said:
darn....anyone have an extra peppermint shrimp laying around? :lol:

No but I do have a extra bottle of Joes Juice if you want to drive to Lompoc to get it... Or I can drop it off to you !

Back
Top Bottom