Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aldo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

This is Aldo your inexperienced :mrgreen: as a lime guy!

Question:

How would I be able to tell whether my live rock is in the midst of dying or already dead? Is there something that I should be doing with reference to chemical or vitamin to help prevent this and also give nourishment to the tank?

Thanks. :D

well dying live rock will litrally smell bad. In fact it will smell very BAD. Dead live rock really IMO would only be rock that has been dry for months.

There are various stages of live rock.

You have your very basic live rock that is covered in benifical bactera. Then you have your live rock that hosts bactera and small crustations and worms. Then you have rock with bactera, worms, crustrations and macro algae. And then you have rock with all the above and various other forms of life.

Each can be classifed as live rock but will appear differently.

Thanks fishfreek,

Is there anything I should be adding to the tank such as vitamins etc.
to keep things looking good & crisp?

Aldo

to maintain the live rock. Not really. As a general rule you should not add what you dont test for. If you wanted to test for calcium and add calcium when your levels got lower than say 350ppm that would help boost your coraline algae growth.

But rocks themselves dont need any special care.

I also have problem with my LR, 3 worms ( should be sand worm if i'm not wrong ) crawled out of one of the LR and was struggling on the sand bed, i placed them into another rock's small hole and they crawled inside happily. Is there a problem with the rock? My water chemistry is all right, with adequate NH4, nitrite, nitrate etc.... I went to ask the LFS owner and they told me to make current flows through the LR, I mean to have power head or any other device to blow the LR, is what they told me helpful?

:D
Can't help you much with the worm problem.
But I do know that you need POWER HEADS to keep the water moving causing currents over coral and rock.
Hope this helps.
I am learning with you.
:mrgreen: as a lime
aldo

Back
Top Bottom