Live Rock Creature Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am seeing all kinds of new creatures in my live rock, I have a question about one... I think it is a snail without a shell, has 2 feelers and is gray and looks like a snail.

My question is, do snail's hatch from pods? I have seen to white cocoon like shells/pods emerge from my rock and I have seen the snail looking creature come from one of those holes...

Anyone have any clues...?

Sneaker said:
I am seeing all kinds of new creatures in my live rock, I have a question about one... I think it is a snail without a shell, has 2 feelers and is gray and looks like a snail.
Most likely a stomatella varia, it looks very similar to abalone and is a very common hitchiker.

My question is, do snail's hatch from pods?
No, snails hatch from snails eggs and pods reproduce much like shrimp.

I have seen to white cocoon like shells/pods emerge from my rock and I have seen the snail looking creature come from one of those holes..
Sounds like a vermetid snail

Cheers
Steve

Still haven't seen any new creatures from my LR...ive had it for a little over a month now. Wish i had some free critters that came along with the ride! :wink:

Give it time two11devan you'll see some it just takes time, still see new things all the time in ours, it's great!

Steve,
I take it I really don't have to worry about a vermetid snail, seems like a harmless creature...

Vermetid snails can only be a concern if they are too near sensitive corals like SPS or corals that emit strong nematocysts when bothered too often. Even still, I really doubt you will have cause for concern though.

None of the ones I mentioned are harmful.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom