Live Rock Cured/UnCured pointers ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrendanH

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Folks,
I brought home some LR from the LFS the other day and I've got it sitting in a rubbermaid 10G container with a couple of powerheads and a heater. The sniff test I did on each piece when selecting them seemed ok (that said I don't have much of a frame of reference on what to expect but it was certainly not the rancid rotten smell I have seen some folks warn about). So I'm wondering if I can judge how cured the rock is by how quickly it spoils the water chems ? The rock has been in the container for a couple of days now and there is no bad smell (which would be very noticeable as it's in a small unventilated room). I just measured the usual stuff and I got :

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 5-10

Whaddaya think ? Nearly ready for the main display ? What should I be looking out for ? I'd rather avoid the need to do a bunch of water changes in the rock container if possible.

thanks,
Brendan.

Well the rock was probably mostly cured at the LFS and judging by your levels the die off looks minimal. I"d say you are almost ready to put the rock in your display but wait I'd until your amonia/nitrite are at 0 which shouldn't be much longer.

jamal-188 said:
Well the rock was probably mostly cured at the LFS and judging by your levels the die off looks minimal. I"d say you are almost ready to put the rock in your display but wait I'd until your amonia/nitrite are at 0 which shouldn't be much longer.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom