Live Rock for a Beginner... Thanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burritojon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to set up my first salt water tank and I am trying to get as much input from experienced people as I can to help minimize mistakes... I have a 55 gallon tank that is going to be fish only. I have read that adding live rock to the tank would help establish more biological filtration... I have not yet started the tank, but have all the supplies. My real question is: can I set up my tank and cycle it with a couple fish and the live rock right off the bat? or should I cycle it and once it is established add the live rock as an after though? Thanks in advance! these messages boards have been incredibly helpful! great community

jon

Jon, welcome to Aquarium Advice - and you're a "neighbor" too! :)

To try & best answer your question:

can I set up my tank and cycle it with a couple fish and the live rock right off the bat? or should I cycle it and once it is established add the live rock as an after though?

IMO, the best way to cycle a tank is with uncured LR. Cycling with fish is not only pretty cruel, but not necessary.

I don't have a lot of personal experience with FO systems, but if I were going to have one, I would probably do FOWLR for sure. LR is not only a great biological filter, but also creates a great natural environment for the fish.

Here's a great article found here on AA: >>How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish.<<

HTH!!

Back
Top Bottom