Live rock growing whit hair???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jj49er

Aquarium Advice Regular
Title says it all my live rock is growing some sort of white fuzzy hair or something on it is this normal or do I need to clean rock it is in cycling process (my tank) I will try to provide pictures as well as some rock growing red tube Things idk what it is I'm new to this some advice please!!!!

Attachments

• image-359289773.jpg
    image-359289773.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 142
  • image-1480362066.jpg
    image-1480362066.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 119
Do you have any CUC? I have little spots in my tank with what looks like the same thing..

Do you have a pic of the red tube thing? I am interested in that because I have a few of those as well! Have never seen them do much except sit there...

No cuc yet getting it tommorow any suggestions? N I will get a picture up in a while of the red tube things with hair look like a little tree yeah doesn't do much just wave with current

Yeah see what the CUC does with the white hair.. There isn't much in my tank just spots here and there... I added some crabs and snails soon after my tank cycled so it never got to the point of the pics you have poster

Sounds like your red trees do more than mine! Lol.. Mine are very small and hard.. I assume some sort of tube worm but I don't know.. Maybe I should post a pic and start a new thread

Idk if u can see it... It's center of picture camera phone don't zoom good

Attachments

• image-282679095.jpg
    image-282679095.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 192
Hmm.. Not what I have.. Have you ever seen anything come out if it? I guess they are very solid either since you said they go with the current

Yeah mine are small too don't do much either that what I was thinking worms or something yeah going to add cuc tomorrow hope that works what kind of crabs n snails u get?

Yeah nothing comin out just same spot solid that it

I never had white hair when I cycled but I did get alot of green hair algae.

I just left it all alone through the cycle and then after all that I introduced the cuc and let them do there thing, and that's exactly what they did.

You might want to let the cycle run its course before adding a cuc or cleaning anything.

Oh ok I will see what the CUC does after I add em

I started out with 3 turbo snails and 2 Halloween hermit crabs.. Couple months ago I added 10 Astraea snails 10 nasarius snails and 2 emerald crabs... IMO skip the Halloween hermits and go for the emeralds!

Ok thanx for the advice... Let's hope they do the job

I think it will help.. Especially the crabs.. They are always picking at the rocks.. A lot of fun to watch. I may be adding a cleaner shrimp tomorrow, as long as my lfs has them.. Looking forward to that addition

How do u acclimate ur cuc when u add em to tank?

Jj49er said:
How do u acclimate ur cuc when u add em to tank?

You use the drip method. I do mine in a bucket with some knotted tubbing starting with just the water you get them in. Then start the siphon and slow it down to a slow drip of your water ( I siphon mine out of my fuge tank). Do this slow drip for about two hours. If turbo/ Astraea snails are part of your CUC then be very sure that they are open shell side down due to them being overturned they die. Then afte about two to three hours add them straight to your tank. Works for me every time with very few casualties! Hope thi helps!

I floated the bag in the tank and added a shot glass worth of my tank water to it every 15 minutes for an hour and a half or so.

Looking at your pictures you posted at the beginning of this thread I would have to say from my experience of having Algae blooms in the past you have a lot of sediment getting stirred up from the sand bed and clinging to the GHA hence looking like white algae growing. Throw you some emerald crabs, turbo snails, and a good deal of some blue and red legged hermits and they will slowly knock away at you algae problem! If you want a quick fix get you a few lettuce nuddibranch and they will tear that GHA up! Note they also will die when all the GHA is gone so if you get one or two find a friend with the same problem to give them too :)

Back
Top Bottom