Live Rock Hitchhikers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImLookinForNemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone please explain to me in really simple terms how the heck you get rid of hitchhikers before you put the LR in the tank? And is there a way to get rid of the bad guys without killing the good hitchikers?

I hear that using Soda water instead of RO water and mix it up with salt to proper sg and diping the LR in it for a few secs gets rid of most Hitchhikers..

HTH,
James

Nemo,
the soda water method that cj described will work as well as a hypersallinity dunk. In this method you mix up some salt water at a higher salinity rate than your tank, something like 1.03+. You dip your LR into the solution for a maximum of 90 seconds. During this time all or most of the hitch hikers will vacate the rock. You then can scoop up the good hitch hikers and throw the other out. I have heard that both methods work, its your call.

Wont just plain Ro water work?

Thanks Dewey
I hear that using seltzer water doesnt harm the inhabitants just irritates them.. When doing a High SG dunk or a FW dip it is going to take a major toll on any Life on/in the LR..

James

You then can scoop up the good hitch hikers and throw the other out. I have heard that both methods work, its your call.

greetings, how do we know what is bad or good? i am soon getting some florida gulf rock which should have many critters...

cj10488,
I agree with you that it can kill some of the benefitial HHs, but if you dip the rock for 60 seconds, it is still effective. Although either method is not 100% it is better than nothing. I saw a link on either this site or another site talking about some guy doing a seltzer dip and then putting the LR in his tank. His wife then asked what the creature with the stalk eyes was? LOL. It turned out that the mantis shrimp was too stuborn to leave the LR.
:oops:

Nemo, you should also check all your rock before putting it in your tank. After I had TWO mantis shrimps invade my tank from some large LR pieces you learn your lesson fast. :x

You do learn fast, I was in the same boat as srgetz, I had know idea what was good and what was bad. Three months, four mantis, twenty on crabs and 2 more mantis left, I'm offically an expert on hitchhikers. Not really, but I feel that way.

Before you purchase your rock, have a plan, have everything set up and go for it.

Back
Top Bottom