live rock no growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikkichick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:?: i have a 45gal with 20lbs of live rock different shapes and types i had the setup for 6months in my 20 gal and switched to my 45gl few weeks ago is there anything im doing wrong because im all new to this type of setup thanks

`~*Nicole*~`

Welcome to AA. I'm not sure what you mean "no growth" Are you saying no new coraline algae's & stuff or the rock's not growing?

i have 2 20wat lights and yea i mean there is no coraline algae or other stuff on it

`~*Nicole*~`

First of all, 40 watts of light on a 45-gallon tank is weak indeed. If you don't plan to keep corals, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. This doesn't mean that you can't have coraline or anything like that, but don't expect such growth to occurr very quickly. Upgrading your lights might be in order, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Also, if you want another solution to your problem, I would recommend seeding your tank with a rock that does have a good amount of growth on it. I would find a fairly small rock packed with coraline (from a store or a fellow hobbiest) and stick it right in the middle of your rock or in an area of high flow to try to disperse the growth onto your existing rock.

Are you looking to keep just fish?

Actinic tubes seem to help coralline growth so you might consider just swapping out one of your current bulbs.

But if you intend to keep coral or an anemone then you will need at least 4 times what you have now.

does anyone know a good online place to shop for supplies ? because the lfs i go to is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom