Live rock online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
anyone mind posting reputable online sources for LR? I wanna compare the local prices vs. ordering and paying shipping for a similar quantity.

Liverocks.com are great. There is also Tampabaysaltwater.com.

I love the rocks that I got from lr.com. plus @ 2.99 # you can't go wrong :D

What kind of rock are you looking for fiji, tonga for keys rock?

never even heard of keys rock...i was mostly gonna look for base rock and reef rock. those prices on liverock.com are crazy cheap!!

I think i'll be gettin 20lbs of base, and 15lbs of Keys (40gallon breeder tank).

That should be sufficient right? I can always buy a couple more pounds locally.

If the rock is going to be your main source of filtration then go for 45-60 lbs.

If I have 2 powerheads, are those considered filtration if I had a sponge on them?

I just put together a mock order..that shipping is insane! It figures though, as it's heavy stuff, and I imagine they need to ship it quickly to prevent die-off.

the power heads are used for water movement, not so much direct filtration. Most people that I know of that use a sponge with the power head do so to help keep live stock out of the suction port.

Even with the shipping costs, the LR from liverocks.com was well worth the money when i got mine. With shipping it is about what i would have to spend per pound at the LFS near my house, but the quality of rock is a million times better

The powerheads are purely for water movement, which does aid filtration by pushing water through the rock, but they don't filter the water themselves.

The shipping cost is the reason you should by as much rock as you can now.

What about Keys rock from saltwaterfish.com? 20-25 pounds shipped (2nd day FedEx) for $99. Sounds like a good deal considering shipping is included.

Anyone have experience with this retailer? I will be buying my LR next week.

Thanks,
Kurt

KFEdaddy2k said:
What about Keys rock from saltwaterfish.com? 20-25 pounds shipped (2nd day FedEx) for $99. Sounds like a good deal considering shipping is included.

Anyone have experience with this retailer? I will be buying my LR next week.

Thanks,
Kurt

WAY too long for shipping !
I bet NOTIHNG would survive that trip... MAYBE a crab...

Based on all the praise that has been heaped over them in these forums I just ordered 100 lbs from liverocks.com.

I recently set up a 20 gal tank with 25lbs of Fiji rock that I bought at the LFS and I'm anxious to compare the lr.com rock to it.

If the keys rock ends up as colorful as their photos suggest, I can justify it.

I'm gonna check out the LR at the LFS. I'm guessing it's just base rock..nothing fancy.
I figure I can split the difference by going local for base, and liverock.com for 'the fancy stuff'.
I was planning on 15lbs of keys rock...now maybe I can get a little more :)

malkore said:
If the keys rock ends up as colorful as their photos suggest, I can justify it.

This Pic shows some of the good color I got with it.

malkore said:
I'm gonna check out the LR at the LFS. I'm guessing it's just base rock..nothing fancy.
I figure I can split the difference by going local for base, and liverock.com for 'the fancy stuff'.
I was planning on 15lbs of keys rock...now maybe I can get a little more :)

The sad rock they sold at my LFS was more expensive than my rock overnighted.

One lfs has Tonga lr for $7 a lb and the other had Fiji for $6. I bought some of both and have seen little or no visible life in almost 2 months. Lord knows how long it was out of the water and what conditions it was kept in before hitting my tank.

liverocks.com appears to be a great bargain and I'm looking forward to next Friday (thats when it's showing up!)

Well so far im happy with what I got..Nice mix of sizes and shapes and looks like I might have some (extras in there too) if it lives, more to come as life returns to normal :wink:

Well so far im happy with what I got..Nice mix of sizes and shapes and looks like I might have some (extras in there too) if it lives, more to come as life returns to normal :wink:

Back
Top Bottom