Live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just want to know of some good reliable and cheap live rock websites. Any input would be great. Thank you

I bought 45# of Fiji from Dr fosters&Smith I paid $160.00 or so. Then I bought about 35# of Caribbean from inland aquatics I paid about $100.00 The rock from DR's was larger but nicer with better coraline coverage I cycled my tank with it, the rock from inland aquatics was nasty stinky rotten shelf like rock with no coraline coverage took a while to cure and had to scrub the heck out of it to get dead worms and such off of it. Hope this helps I also hear Liverock.com is a good source but haven't tried them.

I bought 150LBs of base rock, from marcorocks.com. You can seed base with live to save money.

If you are looking for some rock that you can grow your nitrifying bacteria on then base rock like Scott was talking about would be fine. If you are talking about that and live critters then go to your LFS or buy from many sites but you usually get what you pay for. I went to my LFS and bought 200 lbs at 8.99 a lb. It was figi, tonga and solomon island LR. It`s still with me after 10 yrs and still teeming full of life. You can get it online for cheaper but you`ll have to cure it yourself.

Melosu thats just what i did. After some research online with some web sites. I found out after buying the LR, shipping, curing (which u have to use alot of water, equitment that i dont have extra of, space, and time). I found a LFS if i bought 50 or more pounds they gave it to me for 7$ a pound and it was really nice fully cured primo fiji rock. Its got great coloring, clean, and smelt like haven. I just dont think online for the LR is the way to go if ur a newbie to all of this. Whether fully cured or not u have to pretty much cure it again because of the time out of the water.

That's a great deal from the lfs. Online is the way to go if you are starting a new tank. The LR is great to start the cycle, and it's much cheaper.

Cycling the tank with uncured rock is what I did. Worked great. The downfall to ordering online is you don't know what you are going to get. The second rock order I placed I called and requested special sized pieces glad I did it was what I wanted. If you get rock from the LFS you can pick your pieces which is awesome. I ended up paying about $3.50 per pound ordered online including the shipping much better than $8.00 a pound less than half the cost so In reality you could order twice as much rock online for the same cost pick your pieces and sell whats left to the LFS.

Yeah new to this also but I wanted to do everything myself so I ordered uncured prem fiji from fostersmith. Nice pieces was a lil dissapointed at first kinda thought i was going to be able to see critters as soon as opening the box. But now there starting to show up. Online is the best way if you ask me. You can use the rest of the money for other things. What's a little extra hardwork.

Fiji i shopped around online with the websites u gave me. I am thankful cause i new to this. All i'm saying is that i felt after calling dr. fosters and smith (which everyone said it is good)i came out around 4.50 a pound. The salesmen on the phone said the rock smells like **** and he recommended that i cure the rock no matter what. I just dont have the time, space, or the equitment for that. For 2.50 more dollars a pound i got to pick out what i wanted and i was fully cured. Thanks so much. I understand u where trying to help. And i thought 7 dollars a pound wasnt that bad. i was gettin prices like 10 or 11 in one LFS it was 12. Thank u

My LFS has basic Fiji Rock for $8.99/lb and another type that has TONS of growth on it (Macro algae, dusters, snails, etc..) for $14.99/lb. I got Fiji as the majority of my rock, and then got 1 big hunk of the $14.99/lb rock as the centerpiece.

I just ordered 4 boxes or Fiji Primum from Blue Zoo Aquatics and I paid $187 a box shipped.

Back
Top Bottom