live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
how many pounds per gallon?
is there a certian type thats better for the base, middle top?
in your opinion what is the best type of live rock?

for a reef system and if your DSB/LR will be the biological filtration for your tank then most folks suggest 1.5-2 pounds per gallon. If budget is tight you can fill a large percentage of that with base rock and top it off with actual LR.

I don't know of any difference for where you place the LR itself.

I personaly like the Fiji LR I have in my tank, nice variety of shape with lots of nooks and cranies for the fish to hide in and swim through. I don't personally like the tonga, just seems too plain for my taste. i'm not suggesting Fiji is "Better" or that tonga is "worse". This is simply my opinion as far as asthetics goes.

thanx for your help billyz, i think im going too go with some base rock and live rock , im not sure of a good price of live rock but it is all around $8.99 - $10.00.

Gulf-View ROCKS!!!

I received 250 pounds of Gulf-View "base" rock on June 27, 2003. My cost was $2.00/pound, plus shipping. It was unbelieveable! I have posted a detailed account of my experience with it, along with pictures. Here are the links:

My detailed post on WetWeb
Pictures on WetWeb
Comments from another fellow who bought Gulf-View rock after reading of my experience

In short, I think Gulf-View's rock, prices, and service cannot be beat. Their seed rock was originally lace rock from the Bahamas, so it's lighter and more porous than other Florida aquacultured rocks. It's been down something like 13 years, so the life on it is truly amazing.

Feel free to email me for additional pictures or information.

Don't miss my Jensalt sump horror story site.

Also see how to cycle a new tank with household ammonia.

Greg Bunch
http://www.gbundersea.com
Home of the Digital Lens Dock, MXTENDER, Save-A-Lens Kit, and u/w photography

http://www.reefngom.org
Co-founder and fish ID instructor
REEF Field Station of the Northern Gulf of Mexico

I originally had some rock that was either Fiji, Tonga or both...then I got a few more pounds to finish off the tank and it was from Brazil and very nice. I just thought I would mention that since it seems like an unusual source.

Back
Top Bottom