Live Rock Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have got 105 pds of live rock and I am just not pleased with how I have it set up. Is there a way that is best to set live rock up?

Thanks!

well i have had a reef for little over a year and so far i can;t seem to kepe my arms out of the tank. you will never be pleased with it. That is just part of it.

All of the above! My rocks are just stacked on each other. Not many caves, or cliffs. Is it ok to rearrange? Will it upset the fish or tank balance?

no you will be fine to rearrange the tank. i rearrange mine all the time. I don't know a reefer who doesn't rearrange there tanks

A nice look is to use large flat pieces stacked on "pillar" pieces so that there is a lot of open area beneath. Try to create "caves" and tunnels leaving valleys and passages on the sandy bottom. Fish will use then to hide and sleep. Shrimp will like the security. Make a really nice looking reef.
Look at pics of people's tanks on the web to get more ideas.

My problem is most of my rocks are rounded, or the flat ones has the growth on the opposite sides.

Thanks!

If you don't like how the rocks are shaped, combine them. Use plastic cable ties, fishing line, or special epoxy to help with your creative ideas.

I'd also recommend that the bottom layer of rock be firmly on the bottom. I've got a pistol shrimp (and of course his goby buddy) that makes his tunnels uder the rocks and the fine sand. Would hate to see him make one and cause a rock slide. I'm sure there'll be something you're gonna add to your tank that may cause big problems if the rock only sits on top of the sand.

Start your base rock on the bottom of the tank. Add your sand up to the level you want and then add your rock on top of it.

Check out the member tanks on this site. I did, but I think it's made me more utopian than anything. Good ideas, but don't drool too much.

Back
Top Bottom