Live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had crush coral for years. I'm redoing my tank cus a picked up a parasite an want to do live rock and some soft corals. Time for a change. 75 gal

Daniel Fishy said:
I had crush coral for years. I'm redoing my tank cus a picked up a parasite an want to do live rock and some soft corals. Time for a change. 75 gal

You can get sand without it being live sand. It will become live over time. Dry sand is the better option. Live sand sold in bags with water usually contain large amounts of die off and who knows what. I suggest buying a medium sized grain dry sand. Much cheaper too.

I am setting up a new 30 gallon reef and was told live sand is better since it is easier to clean. I have always used crushed coral for pH. Do I need to add crushed coral to my sand base for the pH benefits?

I looked up aragonite (thanks) seems perfect for ph balance, size and price. Can I add a couple pounds of live sand to speed up the process?

The problem with live sand is die off you may create more problems, you can get bacteria in a bottle that does the same thing and cheaper but I wouldn't recommend either one live rock will help u with no die off I would stick with that

Who knows how long that live sand has been in that bag could be a week or months there for is it really live or is it a bunch of dead Bactria!!!

The live sand I purchased had no die off (smell). The bacteria came in a separate pouch which I disguarded. My question is sand or no sand for a fish with coral tank?

If you Throw it away then it would not be live sand right so point less to buy it but on the question it's ur choice coral helps ph but I like the look of sand better

If you want live sand and live rock, why not buy dry sand and live rock? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the sand will turn live after a while. Seems like you end up with both things you want in the end.

I also am not sure why, but it seems like the general consensus here is to not use the bacteria in a bottle. I agree that most of the stuff out there is not good, but I have not heard anything negative about Dr Tim's products. Seems to be a good product developed by a guy that knows what he is doing. Cycles your tank in a fraction of the usual time.

I never said that I just said no point in it I don't think it makes that much of a difference If u get live rock it will do the same thing the bottle may shorten the cycle time but by how much a week or so not worth it for me

I guess I was thinking do dry sand and live rock or do nothing live and use the Dr Tim's. For cost, the latter seems less expensive. For time, the later is faster by maybe 3weeks or so. For looks, buying live rock that already has growth might be better. I'm just not much of a fan of the "throw a shrimp in" cycling, but that's just me.

I use damsel ya its not the best way but they live and there food for the other fish when I put them in there it is usually 3 to 4 weeks when it's done cycling anyways

Back
Top Bottom