Liza's Intro into Aquarium Ownership- A 36 Gal Bow Front FOWLR!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOOHOO!!! I did it! I uploaded the first two pics! :dance:

The clearer pic is the first one I took with my camera phone. The grainier one is the last one I took and the first one with my Samsung Galaxy 4 Tablet. Now I must figure out how to take clearer pics.... Unfortunately, my fantabulous camera was one of the items that were stolen from me over the summer so I have to eventually replace it.... But, for now, this must do!

One more week I must wait to buy the rock, sand and water and start cycling my tank.... May God grant me lots of patience!!! :/

Thanks Carey and nanoreefz! I appreciate you guys letting me know that you are following me. :) I took my hubby to another local saltwater store called Reefers Direct. We will be working mainly with them to get this tank going.... I can hardly wait to do so! But, as I said before- I know that patience is a virtue in this world!

I know that patience is a virtue in this world!
very much so ....

glad you found a store you like , just dont let them try to sell you things you dont need
the main thing is to enjoy your build , one thing i do recommend is getting a piece of egg crate (light defuser) at home depote so you can put a section on the bottom of the tank it will help protect the bottom glass in case a rock falls , it also helps keep the first layer of rock off the glass , the remainder of the egg crate you can use for frag racks ect

hey, I am in your area. lol I just went to reefers direct a month ago. :)

You might want to try out top shelf, by far the best in the area. They have everything you could possibly want. And I know the guys personally, they would never sell you something you dont need. But Reefers is good too.

If you want any information about the local reef club just let me know. We meet the 2nd saturday of every month at various local locations.

Carey... Thanks for the info!!! :)

I'll look ino Top Shelf. I just saw their website; it looks like a really big place!!! I'm with a migraine right now (trying to ignore it) so I may go over there next weekend. This weekend'so plans to go shopping for the sand, rocks and water may have to wait as well. My head is pounding badly. :(

I'd like the info on the local reef club as well.

So now I am confused. I want to get the sand. Should I get the CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Reef sand or the CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Aquarium Sand? From what I understand, one has live organisms and one doesn't. I also understand that the live one will help cycle my tank quicker and can have unwanted hitchhikers but the non- live one eventually becomes live and should not have any hitchhikers, only twigs and junk that I may need to sift out.... HELP!!!

get the one that don't 1/2 the time they say the other has live stuff in it but its always dead cause it sits on shelf for god who knows not worth spending the extra money
i just use pool filter sand

get the one that don't 1/2 the time they say the other has live stuff in it but its always dead cause it sits on shelf for god who knows not worth spending the extra money
i just use pool filter sand

That's what I thought! I'd like to introduce my own organisms and not be unpleasantly surprised.... Plus it IS cheaper! Right now I can order a 40- gal bag for $26.99.... Hey- do you think I should do one bag or two?

1 40lb bag is plenty you'll have about 1 inch of sand above the black band making it about 1 1/2 inch deep plenty , wow $27.00
thats why i always use play sand or pool filter sand only like $6.00

1 40lb bag is plenty you'll have about 1 inch of sand above the black band making it about 1 1/2 inch deep plenty , wow $27.00
thats why i always use play sand or pool filter sand only like $6.00

So I found some pool sand with great ratings and others have used it in their aquariums :). If I buy the 50 lb bag and I use all of it, how deep a bed will it leave? I'm curious; that's one of the things my hubby actually wants- a nice, deep bed!

add your rock first than sand and go from there see how it looks its easy to add more more a pain taking it back out 30 lbs would probably cover the tank remember
its what you like i like around inch to inch and a half some like it deeper
remember the more sand more likely fish will kick it up
i also like sloping sand bed high out front lower towards the rock

Thanks for all of the info, 54seaweed!!! I really appreciate it. Sometime this week, I'm going to visit Home Depot as well as Pinch-a-Penny, our local pool shop, and see what I come up with. I'm liking the idea of getting sand that needs little to no rinsing; I'll keep you posted!

Do you have any suggestions on the minimum amount of rock I should have in my FOWLR?

Back
Top Bottom