Liza's Intro into Aquarium Ownership- A 36 Gal Bow Front FOWLR!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
usually it's a pound to a pound and a half per gallon
are you planning on live rock or dry base rock because there's a big price difference
either way i'd start with around 30 pounds and you could always add more later
it all depends on the way you scape your rock work
remember you want your fish to be able to swim at all levels
in my 37 bowfront i left a 4inch beach around the front of the tank along with 3 inch on the sides
this is my fowlr my fish are hiding this tank has around 65lbs of rock some real porous
and light this rock you get more per pound
and some that's non porous it weighs a lot more and you get less per pound
i plan on doing lots of macro algae growing off the rocks
img_3065714_0_a1de2eb739fe429742f65a2046e40614.jpg

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about going with live rock. However, if dry rock is better, I can do that. I am aware that if my stuff isn't "live", it'll take a bit longer to cycle and be ready for the fishies. I prefer not to deal with unwanted hitchhikers (not that I'd know who's unwelcome in my tank! I expect a huge learning curve in THAT department, quite frankly...). :fish2::fish2::fish2:

By the way- you have a pretty cool tank! I value your advice greatly, 54seaweed. (I also value Carey's and others' advice but you seem to be on more often. I understand; I am an online student and teacher with 45 students and counting so I know that there are periodic times when others can't be on.)

Thanks again!!!

thats my fowler im slowly but surely turning it into a small predator tank
with just the oddly shaped fish that dont grow to big ,

if you dont want hitchhikers id go with base rock / dry rock like your sand it will become live over time , I used some of this rock in both my tanks and love it , nice size pieces
its about the cheapest ,
Rock - Reef Cleaners
if you decide to go with a CUC down the line
john at reef cleaners has CUC's also he always sends more than you order
I deal with john quite often

this is my other tank ,it has about every critter you can think of ,
lobster,shrimp,serpent stars,crabs,hermit crabs,snails,mud clams,sand crabs also known as sand flea's,urchin,I have so many inverts i forgot 1/2 of what i got,
then theres all the fish , coral,salt water plants just ordered lots for both tanks
its like my own little ocean,
this is what happens when you got way to much time on your hands lol

this is my other tank ,it has about every critter you can think of ,
lobster,shrimp,serpent stars,crabs,hermit crabs,snails,mud clams,sand crabs also known as sand flea's,urchin,I have so many inverts i forgot 1/2 of what i got,
then theres all the fish , coral,salt water plants just ordered lots for both tanks
its like my own little ocean,
this is what happens when you got way to much time on your hands lol

$50 to go scuba diving in there. :) awesome tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This week, I had an unfortunate situation happen. I had a storage unit that burned down in a fire. The blaze started in a unit next to ours so it became part of the nucleus of the flames. :( There we had our winter clothes, some pieces of furniture, bedding, a couple of electronics, exercise DVS, some files, a small betta tank, and God knows what else that I don't remember right now. We had the unit due to necessity since my house sold in short sale last year. We lived in a much smaller 1-1 for a year until we were robbed over the summer. There we moved out and into our current place which is bigger than our house was! We were going to empty the unit at the end of the month but it literally went up in flames.

My hubby will be home later on today. The plan of purchasing the sand, rock and water is still a go so I'm looking forward to that! ;) Besides, he can take care of the heavy stuff. THAT I like!!!

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear this bad news sounds like you've been through a lot ,
any idea what started it , home owners ins may cover your loss something you should look into , be positive things will get better ,

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear this bad news sounds like you've been through a lot ,
any idea what started it , home owners ins may cover your loss something you should look into , be positive things will get better ,

54seaweed:

You are right! Unfortunately, I'very been through a lot in the last few months! But my faith is strong; I truly believe that God does not give you more than you can handle. I'm OK with it now.

As far as what started the fire- I don't know. What I do know is that it seems to have started in a unit next to ours so our unit ended up being part of the nucleus of the fire. I lost my house to a foreclosure/ short sale situation last year so we are renting for now. My troubles started in 2008 when I lost my first job. I'very been through unemployment three times, homelessness twice, a robbery, and now, a storage fire.

I had insurance when I got it. However, the company went bankrupt and another company took over. They never said anything about not having insurance! It seems like, in the buyout, my insuance did not transfer. Therefore, according to them, I have no recourse and I lost everything. :( However, I'm in the process of seeking legal counsel.

Yesterday, we went shopping for household items. My hubby said that next weekend I'll be able to buy the rest of the stuff and (finally!) put the tank to cycle.... I am looking forward to it!!!

Cycling will be done next week. We have a really good frIend who is pregnant. We held her baby shower yesterday. We bought her some stuff off of her wish list. However, after all presents were opened, my hubby saw that she didn't have (nor did she receive) a stroller. After the shower, we set out to get her one at Walmart as well as a pack-and-play. Baby Isaiah is about to be born any day now so we invested the $200 we originally had for the aquarium in him. :smitten:

We found another cool aquarium store nearby. They are going to bring the water, rock and sand next weekend for FREE!!! I'm sooooo looking forward to it!:fish2::fish2::fish2:

Today looks to be the day I will bring home the water, sand, and rocks and start the cycling process! God willing, it shall be so!!! :dance:

glad to see you getting started , bet you never thought you would get that salt water itch (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
54seaweed- You are absolutely right! I'm going to the store at noon. Yesterday I was in a teacher meeting until 5:00 so I had to wait until this morning for my paycheck to clear. I'm the one paying for my hobby even though my hubby gifted me the tank.... I'm closer to making this a reality!!!

Back
Top Bottom