Losing my chromis?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timmytimtim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started out with 5 chromis in my tank. Tank is 75 gal, just over 5 weeks running, 90 lbs of live rock, 2 bangii cardinals, 1 ocillaris clown. Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: 5 ppm, Salinity 1.022, PH 8.4.

Here is the question. I've lost 2 chromis and don't understand why. They are the only ones getting sick, they are not rubbing on rocks but do have some kind of spot on them. It's not covering thier bodies like ich, more like a single spot that is whitish...then brown. Almost looks like marks from fighting each other. It does not spread but eventually the fish isolates itself, breathes rapidly and then dies. One went through all the motions but then came out fine. Is there something that only impacts the Chromis?:-(

They were drip acclimated for about two hours...and have been in the tank since the beginning. Each time one dies another gets sick...could it be fighting to establish a new "pecking order?"

Trying to post a pic. Mark is above the right eye.

23990-albums597-picture4409t.jpg

You probably answered your own question when you mentioned fighting. Chromis tend to be fairly ruthless towards each other and it's very common to lose a few out of the group when one becomes dominant.

yes. Every time one dies off the others go at it...nothing too bad, but it seems like overnight someone get jacked up. There are only 2 left now and one is too small to fight so there aren't any more problems. I just wanted to know if this is normal or if I was fighting some kind of disease.

Thanks

The same thing happened to me , I bought 5 chromis , everynight I lost one fish , until 1 was left. I figured that was 1 mean fish - so I gave him away. 2 months later bought 5 more -- same exact thing , one gone every night - I currently have 1 , and thats it -- no buddies for him.

Back
Top Bottom