LS Stowaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As part of the conversion from CC to a DSB, I purchased 30lbs of LS from the LFS.

Got home and placed the LS into the tank and suddenly something started moving! Checked it out and apparently there was a horseshoe crab that made its escape from the LFS via the LS.

I'm assuming that he'll help to churn the LS, but is this a good thing or bad (i.e., should I be looking at getting him out, or can he work towards the good of a FOWLR?

OK, assuming he stays, now I have an extra mouth to feed - should I include him in my "cleanup crew" staff and assume he will get enough detris in the LS, or does he require special care/feeding? He's usually buried in the sand and I have a difficult time finding him.

Appreciate any thoughts on my new found friend.

I would get rid of him. They get large and they eat the critters living in the sand bed. IMHO I would return him to the LFS or see if you can trade him to someone else in your area.

Brian

Horsecrabs are the most fun critters in my tank right now. You go to bed and the sand is nice and smooth, wake up and the entire tank has tracks and footprints everywhere. And to top it off the sand is nice and clean. No need to worry about feeding your fish too much(within reason of course) because this guy will eat it all. I say keep him. Most people here will probably say give him the pink slip. I would feel him out for a little bit, give him a chance to grow on you, because once he does, you'll have a tough time getting rid of him.

-Dan

from what i've read you do NOT want sand sifters etc in a DSB environment as a sand "sifter" is actualy a critter that feeds ON the fauna in the DSB. the fauna in the DSB is what you NEED for the DSB to do it's job. So if you have something that is eating the critters in your DSB then your working against your own DSB.

JMO

As part of the conversion from CC to a DSB,

Unless you stop with the DSB, follow BrianH's advice. The addition of 4+ inches of LS without the critters, will be the death of your tank. You will not be able to prevent the build-up of hydrogen sulfide gas in the sandbed and eventually to the tank. The horseshoe crab reaches a length of over 2ft in the wild, that is diameter (that's front ot back and side to side). So, IMO, it is too big and is a predator to your dsb.

Looks like the people have spoken!

I'll 'bag' him up on the next surfacing and run down to the LFS to see if I can swap for something more useful.

Thanks for all the opinions - I appreciate the help that this forum/site has provided!

Back
Top Bottom