Macro algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jv8r

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would really like to have a diversity of macro algae in my main display. What's the best way to get that started? I know I need light but do I also need CO2? Have successfully had a 120 gal FOWLR for years. I just want more of a reef minus the corals.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you have Tangs in there they will just flatten any algae !!

CO2 is not needed give it phosphate and nitrate and light and it will grow.

Just be warned Caulerpa can go sexual and send out spores and can crash a tank !!

I think I'm the macro junkie of the community :D
keeping macro's isn't hard as long as you have the following , good lighting and good flow,
as Marty mentioned if you have tangs or even dwarf angels they will snack on it .
I look at it like this yes fish will munch on it you may not like it but it's good for them and macro's can be replaced , they eat it in the ocean what makes the tank any different,
I always like growing out macro's in my sump so I can replace the macro's that need to be replenished ,
just about all fish like the red macro's , but yes they eat green too , some macro's grow fast as others grow slow , for any macro to grow you need to be sure you have good water quality , certain macro's help pull excess nutrients from your water column ,
you also need to understand certain macro's go A sexual and can cause issues with in the tank possibly even crash .
here is a good start to getting to understand macro's
marineplantbook.

this was my very first macro tanks to this day I still miss it ,

img_3364231_0_88d147c774e8df36e446a57be4343843.jpg

Thx for the info. I'm currently re-establishing my FOWLR. Have nothing but a new sump and live rock. Can I start with macro or should I start with fish. My last fish died about a month ago. Was gonna break it all down and sell it all. Had a change of heart so I've kept the water cycling so I'm good to put something in. Thinking I'd like to start with macro before I bring in some triggers, puffers and wrasses.

the trigger and wrasses will probably pull the macro apart . but you can start with either macro or fish.

Back
Top Bottom