mantis in live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellane1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can i pull my live rock out of my tank, dip it in fresh water, eject mantis shrimps and replace it back in the tank without killing anything that is growing on the rock or living in the rock.
regards kell

What I have heard of ppl doing is getting PLAIN seltzer water and using that to make a bucket of SW and get it to the same temp.. And Dipping it in there.. The fizz drives most creatures out of the rock rather quick... Be prepared with a net to catch them quickly... Me personally I have found mantis in one of my rocks and I made some water up that was like 1.5 instead of 1.025 and dipped him in there.. He came out rater quick LOL.. He is still living today as far as I know as well... But I think the High SG dip or FW dip would be far worse than the Seltzer water dip.. I have tried the FW dip before without any luck at all... Very high Salinity or Seltzer SW..

HTH<
James

Don't do the seltzer water dip. It will do more harm than good. Do the high sg dip. I think 1.030 is enough to get his attention.

I've done the FW dip w/ little harm. It only takes about 10-15 seconds to get the unwanted out. This is how I've gotten all of 8 mantis out.

I've done the FW dip w/ little harm. It only takes about 10-15 seconds to get the unwanted out. This is how I've gotten all of 8 mantis out.

This would probally work, but the seltzer dip caused me to loose more life on my rock than I wanted. :(

well i did a high SG dip on my rock and only got a worm and one crab but the crab i had to pull off the rock. i know there is still some on the rock but i cant find them. so when i find them i just set up a trap and get them that way.

I tried the High SG dip and nithing got his attention.. I kept adding cup by cup of salt.. I think i was at about 3 cups of salt to 1 gal of water before the little bugger came out... And man did he come flying out.. LOL My water was atleast 1.5 LOL if not Higher..

James

Back
Top Bottom