Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHARPiE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys,

I've been hearing a clicking every week or so since I have had my tank (almost a year). Its usually two clicks in a row (they sound like someone is tapping a coin against glass). I've made sure it isn't any of my equipment (I originally suspected it was the heater turning on and off, but its definatley not that)

I heard it again just a moment ago, two clicks, a pause, two more clicks a pause and then one click.

Do you think this is a mantis shrimp?
I've never seen it, so I'm unsure as to whether this is it.

Is it safe in my FOWLR tank?

Is there a way to catch him to inspect to see if its a goodie or a baddie?

The sound seems to come from the middle of the tank, so I think catching it in a glass on an angle will be hard.

Any ideas?

Whoa - didn't realise how brutal they were.
Thanks Ray - that had crossed my mind.

Should I try the glass jar trick?

Any other suggestions?

Could be either really, try putting some sort of red filter over a flashlight and start inspecting the tank at night while your lights are off. Most things in you tank will be unable to see the red spectrum of light.

A visual ID is really the only sure way you can tell.

I had thought the glass/jar trick didn't work on them? I could be wrong.

Red is absorbed quickly in water. Many marine animals are red, but look black under the water till you shine a light on them. Using the red lens doesn't spook them because they don't see red. Just make sure the intensity is not too great. The bike light should be fine.

Wow!! Where do they come from? I would be afraid to stick my hand in the tank!! Do people actually buy them?

A lot of people have mantis only tanks. They are cool looking, but only up to a point..then they really start to creep me out. There was a zebra one in my LFS that would just stand against the glass and stare out of the tank...so creepy.

Usually hitch hikers in live rock.

Most are actually pretty harmless and play a pretty good role in reducing nasty crabs etc from tanks. If you find that your local population of turbo snails is disappearing, the mantis could be snacking on them. Look for a pile of snails and you will soon find out where it hides.

I've always been inclined to leave them but each to their own.

Usually hitch hikers in live rock.

Most are actually pretty harmless and play a pretty good role in reducing nasty crabs etc from tanks. If you find that your local population of turbo snails is disappearing, the mantis could be snacking on them. Look for a pile of snails and you will soon find out where it hides.

I've always been inclined to leave them but each to their own.

This is when they are like an inch long, but they second they get big enough they will start taking down fish and will even attack your hands. I have seen some nasty pictures of people fingers after a mantis attack. IMO its best never to let them get this big. Usually they can be trapped without harm to the animal and you can usually make a pretty penny off of them, or get a sweet frag in trade.

I'm pretty sure when you get attacked by a mantis shrimp you aren't thinking whether you got stabbed or bashed. I'd do what the above said and also try the cup trick.

I have seen pictures of people getting hit with the bashing type, it splits your finger right open. I would hate to see what a stabber can do. They are much less common to see as a hitchhiker over here. They are the ones though that started the horror stories about mantis shrimp cracking tanks.

If I catch it, I like the idea of a species tank!
Might keep him in there with a few corals - MTS strikes again!

**Spoke with my LFS, the said get a 600ml coke bottle, cut the top half, invert it and place it back inside the bottom half - they can crawl in, but can't easily crawl out.

What should I use for bait? A small raw shrimp?
I'm likely to catch a bunch of hermits too...

Last edited:
start with a shrimp and see what you get. Then you can try adding a live emerald or small feeder crab.

Back
Top Bottom